Determining curb weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out some general towing and payload numbers for my truck. The tag on the door lists GVWR but not curb weight. I did a search online and found various weights that were not specific to my vehicle, just the 2500 line in general. C's, K's, standard cab, ex-cab, etc...4,287 lbs to 4,620 lbs. My registration lists a "Scale Weight" of 6,020, but my truck was originally sold as a cab/chassis with a utility box and now it's just got a pickup bed, so I'm thinking that number isn't accurate.

I went to a VIN decoder site and it gave me "Curb Weight - Front 2,810" and "Curb Weight - Rear 2,142". I'm assuming I don't just add those together, right? I mean, the tag lists a GAWR rating of 6,000 rear and 3,800 front, but my GVWR is 8,600, so obviously you don't just add the axle ratings together for a total. Is there a formula for determining curb weight based on the specs for front and rear?

Also, this same VIN decoder lists a towing capacity of 10,000 with a weight distributing hitch, but it lists a GCWR of "13,500, 12,000 lbs". This should be VIN specific, so why the two numbers? And assume my vehicle weighs 4,200 lbs, and I'm towing 10,000 lbs, I'd be over the combined rating, even if it's the larger 13.5k number, so how would I ever tow that much and be within spec?

Any input on what my actual number should be would be appreciated. I'd like to know my factory listed curb weight, and combined weight rating.
Thanks

'96 C2500 HD extended cab 2WD 5.7 AT
1GCGC29R7TE219919

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are just going to have to weigh your truck at a scale to find the curb weight. Look at your owners manual for towing capacity. It will be determined by your axle ratio. Look at the RPO code on the glove box to see if you have it.

GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10

I don't recall what the GCWR was for these trucks...

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate the info. I'm hoping to avoid having to go somewhere and pay to get it weighed. Also, I'm currently going through all the RPO codes in the glove box sticker and came up with a couple odd ones. Apparently it has California emissions tier 1 (NB6), but there's a code in there (CT5) which is a country code for Netherlands? And what is the code GMC? I can't find anything for that.

Only on the second line of codes...four more to go

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you towing? 10,000 lbs is going to be hard on that truck. That weight puts you in the big block territory or small block with 4.56 gears.

Hopefully you have 4.10s... If not consider regearing to 4.56s.

Also, better find out if you have a transmission cooler. Even if you do, it is a good idea to upgrade to a larger one. Service your transmission if you haven't done so.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RPO GMC == God Mother Country

Finding a scale: If you can find a grain elevator or another commodities handling facility (timber, fertilzer, etc.), they may have a scale. If they're not busy, stop in and ask them if they'll let you weigh-in.

Your truck almost certainly (?) weighs less than my Suburban, and it tips the scales very near to 6000#, about equal front and rear.

Last edited:

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not towing anything in particular, and wouldn't want to tow 10k with this truck. I just like to know what my actual ratings and limits are. I can be a bit obsessive about some things. I suppose I'll probably end up on a scale somewhere, but I was hoping I could figure it out with the two curb weight numbers posted above.

As for axle ratio, turns out the CT5 code for Netherlands is actually a faded GT5...4.10

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your not towing 10,000 lbs. GC means " Gross Combined ", truck and trailered items combined weight. Truck 6,000 plus trailer loaded toys 4,000 = 10,000.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my curb weight by taking a load of scrap metal from my shop across the scales. I got paid for someone to tell me my curb weight. They should give you a receipt that shows your weight in, and how much you unloaded. Subtract the two and you have your weight. This last time I had a full tank of fuel, and my half-ton stepside came in at 4100 lbs.