Defrost is on all the time not sure why.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Yeah, the linkage is missing. You can probably reseat the damper without pulling the dash and get a new linkage for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I got looking today and all my linkages are there they just came apart but the dam door has basically fallen out of place some how inside the heater box or HVAC box whatever it's called so looks like the dash is coming out. Now when I do this and replace what I understand is the defrost door is there any type of recalibration I should do or is needed or just set the HVAC control to defrost before I remove the dash? Never had to dick with something like this and only want to remove that dash one time I suspect alot of flying wrenches and lot of nasty words will be getting yelled in that shop when I attempt this. Aswell the truck will mostly like get called a pos a few times even though I like it good thing it doesn't have ears.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ends of the damper shafts are keyed (D-shaped) so the linkage brackets will only fit on one way. There are tabs on the outside of the box that the brackets rest against (photos below).

Now would be a good time to replace the dampers, they’re probably rotted along the edges and not sealing well anyways. The brackets are just pressed on.

Just to be safe, you could just set the actuator so that the notched dial matches the photos in the posts above and copy that. I know that it works.

Last edited:

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Well ripped the dash out today there wasn't nothin wrong with anything other than the defrost vent fell out of position when facing face vents it still blows hard out of the desfrost on the driver's side and nothing comes out of the passangee side vents . I'm so fusterated I could light a match to this POS chevy and the problem child 5.7 vortec POS under the hood a 5.7 vortec to 5.7 TBI swap might just happen if I cab only figure out on how I can do it with keeping my push button 4x4 ( I hate manual 4x4 so don't even mention it!!! **** manual shift 4x4!!! )

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will blow out the side defrost vents all the time. Going by memory here, but I think the small opening (lower left in photo) supplies those round side vents, the left damper being the defrost to the top of the dash.

You could try removing the round side grilles and blocking them off. It should force a little more air through the panel vents. In the worst part of summer I usually shut off the passenger vents at the glovebox to get a little more air on the driver side.

Last edited:

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Oka I'll try that and I'm also not getting air out of the passenger side vents only the drivers vents. I tossed up a heavy blanket on the defrost vent just too see if that would make a difference and not really it's determined to blow out of that dam defrost. But it does blow air out of the drivers side vents better now that I fixed that defrost door. Maby I'll just run with it for the summer hope for the best getting tired of spending money on this Friday built lemon.