Decided to do somthing about the peeling clear coat on my 94 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
so this is what my truck pretty much looked like :

You must be registered for see images

i decided it was time to actually do something about this, so i went out and found a local shop that sells 2k primer. i picked up some base coat for the sake of it, thinking i might need to touch up some spots.

at first, i didnt think i was gonna need much base coat but lord was i wrong, i had to sand down to the primer and that created spots where the base coat was gone.

so i ended up with spots like this.

man oh man i started looking at my 2 cans of base coat and figured out that it might not of been enough. fun fact, i bought the base coat in aero sol cans. It was suppose to storm real bad that day, so we didnt want to loose power and be stuck with a half way painted hood if we used the Paint Gun/Compressor route.

However, the place i bought the 2k Clear coat is the same placei bought this base coat, they actually mixed the basecoat and put it in a can which was neat, however it was lik 25 bucks per.

so here i am thinking, " man i really cant afford to pay 50 more bucks for 2 more cans, theres a reason im doing this myself and not paying some shop to do this for me".
so we get around this part:

and im all out of base coat, my good friend suggested i go to O'rielys and try to buy some cheap paint there. i was a lil hesitant but we went, and i bought 3 cans of dupicolor, since they were half the size of the ones i bought a the paint shop.

Lo and behold, the Dupicolor paint cans worked miracles! it was laying on thicker, was coming out glossier and the other paint cans. after one coat we went from the image above to this :

all that was left was to apply the Clear coat, which we did in layers, the final layer we laid it on slow and thick, once it dried it came out looking like this :

im happy with the results but man was this hard! we should of taken the hood off but for some reason we didnt!

Last edited:

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I repainted my whole 76 Landcruiser FJ40 with spray paint, gloss black. Turned put looking real nice, impressed myself on how nice it looked. No, wasnt factory or show quality nice but was shiny with no runs or big flaws. Did it in a pole barn too, lol.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good, I was thinking about doing my whole truck that way. right now it's single stage acrylic enamel.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Looks good, I was thinking about doing my whole truck that way. right now it's single stage acrylic enamel.

If I read between the lines here, does that mean Rustoleum? The reason I ask is because I'm just getting into painting with a nice spray gun and compressor and I'm going to be starting off with Rustoleum with reducer and hardener to experiment on projects/vehicles that I dont care if I mess something up. Also because its a cheap way to learn.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Rustoleum although it's a thought. I just repaired and painted my wife's scooter that the PO dumped it out of the carrier behind her car while taking a turn. I used fiberglass mat and resin/hardener, glazing compound, and 3 coats of sanding primer, came out pretty good (now she wants me to paint the front, LOL). I used Duplicolor base coat (3 coats) clear coat (2 coats), I didn't do any cut and buff though. I'm also thinking about buying a HVLP gun.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rustoleum, don't do it if there is even an inkling that you'll want to put automotive grade paint over it at a later date.