Decided to build a sub box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Peter, thanks for all that info man. I got reading and did some research. I have bought ground loop insulators that didnt do anything but really drop the audio quality. BUT I just read something that makes sense... this is very common, they are saying that since the ground straps on a vehicle are fairly minimal and having all the other components running through the same ground is what's causing it. the cure is more grounds but I'm guna try jumping off the battery just to see what happens! I have upgraded all the grounds on this truck but I didn't add anymore....

this is what I read....

https://www.12volt-travel.com/knowledgebase/engine-noise-in-car-stereo-speakers/

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
HOLY F I'm a DUMBASS! grounds are fine..... theres a switch on the amp... low pass filter.... all the high frequency noises are GONE! I told ya I had no technical knowledge of audio systems! it's been this way since I installed it originally, oh maybe 4 years ago.

this sub sounds AWESOME!

CHEERS!

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
looks and sounds pretty good sitting right here!
You must be registered for see images attach

but it feels better and is way more inconspicuous here. Hell I had to turn the bass down a few levels! this funkin thing is intense!
You must be registered for see images attach

But alas this truck already has a sub so I'm not sure what I'm really guna use it for. I bought some rubber/plastic corner pieces, some large rubber feet and a handle for it on amazon.

I plugged the bass guitar into the stereo and it sounded ok but it was coming through all the truck speakers and not so much out of the subwoofer. it was kinda weird. maybe this old bass has some slight issues. you can hear it in the controls that it's been in a damp garage as a beater for years. oh well. I think I'm guna make a matching "head unit" with some spare parts, old amps and possibly an old high school electronics class amplifier that I built many years ago. n who knows what. lol.

Al

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does sound nice and my buddy would probably really like it....

I have some ground loop feed back issues goin on, I have since I first built it and installed everything. my audio wires are in one sill plate and the power wire is in the other sill plate.... I'm not educated in audio enough to figure out WTF is happening, I know it's a ground loop but dont know how to stop it. it rises with the engine and comes out the sub! GRRRRRR!

any suggestions?

Wrap a bare wire around the back of the radios rca jacks and then around a screw on back of radio...it grounds the RCA signal cables nd will stop most ground loops, can do it on the amp also, wrap around the bare outer part of rca cable and other end of wire to ground should solve ur issues

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thank you very much Ehall! I appreciate that info very much. I mean obviously I still have the ground loop problem, I'm just filtering out that frequency and if I was using regular speakers this is not a very good solution. SOOOO ya Iv been wondering about it. I can crank the stereo and there is no humm of the trucks engine whatsoever and it sounds amazing. I wonder how the older sub will sound. I'm going to write myself a note and stick it somewhere in the truck so that one day I can fix the ground loop! like if I have another reason to pull the dash apart.... I know its not hard to pop the radio out but I'm not going to tare into just to do that.

thanks for the info I appreciate it soooooo much! I gave up on that ground loop like 3 years ago. I had no idea I even had that LPF switch at all.

CHEERS!

MallCrawler87

Reaction score
It does sound nice and my buddy would probably really like it....

I have some ground loop feed back issues goin on, I have since I first built it and installed everything. my audio wires are in one sill plate and the power wire is in the other sill plate.... I'm not educated in audio enough to figure out WTF is happening, I know it's a ground loop but dont know how to stop it. it rises with the engine and comes out the sub! GRRRRRR!

any suggestions?

Most people think the ground loop noise comes from the amp not being grounded to clean metal surface but I've come to learn it's really from the radio not having a good clean ground to bare metal...I NEVER use the ground from the factory harness...I always sand me down a nice clean spot somewhere behind the radio and run a good thick 12 guage ground to my radios

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Your probably on to something there! I did not install the radio or the speakers. they do look like they were professionally installed, probably in the 90's LMAO the amp is absolutely grounded to bare metal that was also treated with a bit of dielectric grease. when I first got the truck I replaced all the main ground chassis straps with 4G insulated wires that I custom made. I did not do anything inside the cab. I will go and update my note to include adding a couple clean new grounds, 1 for the radio itself and I would like to replace the main one under the dash. do you know where it might be? iv never looked but I would imagine its somewhere around the obd2 port.

thanks for the info!