Decided to build a sub box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I've had this speaker sitting around for a couple years. A week ago or so a buddy of mine lent me a bass guitar and now I want a bass amp to play around with but I dont really want to invest in one. I had a nice one and sold it and regretted it almost instantly. I've never had a bass guitar though so I decided to build myself a sub box, to some specifications. its sealed for now I dont have a clue if bass amps are ported or not. I have a couple amps that can easily power this and decided to just build a sub box. its a 15 3/4" cube made from 3/4" prefinished plywood. I dont like building with MDF and dont care about those specific properties but I do understand why it is better to build subs with MDF and not plywood. I have this on hand and it will be the second box I've made with it. The plus is that I dont have to finish it much. I will eventually seal the ends with polyurethane at a later time. I am gluing it with silicone (wood glue is best and I did use it because my joints are unfinished wood to unfinished wood,) clamping it and then screwing it with nice screws. Ya I'm breaking some rules....

I am not an audiophile but I am a cabinet maker.

HAHA I'm not done yet. stay tuned.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a disclaimer I've never really looked into this so I may be talking out of my ass... But what is the frequency response range of a typical bass guitar amp speaker? Reason I ask is that most car subwoofers top out around 200Hz, and I would assume that bass amp speakers are designed to play much higher than that. I'm concerned that your sub may not be up to the task of reproducing the higher frequencies.

Also what are you planning on using as an amplifier head here?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
haha I have no idea about the technical details. LMAO. that's why I'm just building it a sub box... I believe you are absolutely right. I have a couple different amps as options, they may or not be the right choice.

I have this... which is connected to other speakers.... nevermind the dust this thing works great!

but I also have this which is what I'm hoping to use, I will add other speakers in to complete the sound.... this may be way to powerful though.

right now I'm getting ready to cut the hole for the speaker. I couldnt find anything that was 11" round, I looked everywhere except the kitchen! I didnt think about the kitchen. LMAO.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I also forgot that I do have 1 chinesium car amp here, its brand new and does indeed work. it's way over rated but works. it's like 200 watts according to a youtube video where a guy tests a larger model from this same company and says it's okay but way over rated.

with this amp I could bridge it and sneak it into the back of my (or is it my wifes) Burb. she dosent want a sub but I've been threatening to put one in for the last 2 years. LMAO.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I also forgot that I do have 1 chinesium car amp here, its brand new and does indeed work. it's way over rated but works. it's like 200 watts according to a youtube video where a guy tests a larger model from this same company and says it's okay but way over rated.

with this amp I could bridge it and sneak it into the back of my (or is it my wifes) Burb. she dosent want a sub but I've been threatening to put one in for the last 2 years. LMAO.

That would be a much better use of the sub you have for sure!

A buddy of mine years ago had a 12" Kicker Comp very similar to yours in a ported box in the trunk of a '90s Honda Accord. That thing was LOUD on only about 200W. They're great subs for the money.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've built some outdoor speakers that I have hung from my garage eaves. Bought some 6 1/2" and tweeters from parts express clearance. Probably like $15 for everything with basic first order crossover parts. Drivers were literally like under $1.00 each, lol.

Pretty sure I built them with scraps from birch plywood. I did prime them with oil, then some exterior acrylic paint.

They been out there like 6 years, and paint is has started to peel on one corner. Not bad, LOL.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I'm almost done but done for the night. it needs to come apart one side at a time to be glued and then put back together. I might just silicone the inside though like a fish tank n say... its sealed (but this is a dumb idea!) lol. I made a couple screwing mistakes so its time to call it a night.

Last edited: