Dash Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
So I started this dash swap in my 94. Removing the old dash without hacking up the wiring was pretty difficult but I managed to do it. I would have preferred a 95 diesel harness but I could not find one so I'll be using the stock 94 harness with some rewiring and splicing. So far the cluster was a matter of repinning, I had to splice and dice wires for the headlight switch and I'll be doing the same for the fuse box.

I'm doing this in a 6.5 diesel truck, so I have a 97 diesel cluster and a 98 dash from a truck that had a Vortec 5.7, and this far I've successfully wired up the gauge cluster (a matter of repinning the connector) and wired up the headlight switch. I still have 3 or 4 pins left over from the cluster swap that I need to figure out since they must be diesel specific but I'll be sure to document what they are to possibly help others with a diesel. RPM for some reason only works if the headlights/parking lamps are turned off. E-Brake, Fuel, Voltage, Temp, Oil Pressure all work, check engine light works, "wait to start/glow plugs" light works but is completely opposite (where it's only off if the glow plug relay is actually working). I haven't driven the truck with the new cluster so I have no clue if the speedo works.

You must be registered for see images attach

The headlight switch was also super easy, just a matter of matching colored wires. I had three wires left over, two purple and I think a pink which I suppose are for the Dome Override switch.

I am going to swap the mini-fuse block in next, and hopefully test fit the dash. Next time I go to pick n pull I'll be getting a steering column and the metal brackets required to hold the new column up and the bracket to support the passenger side of the dash.

As far as the HVAC controls go, I'll be using the 94 controls until I decide to pull all the stuff I need for wiring up the 95+ controls.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I made a bit more progress on the dash swap this past weekend, and I wired up the fuse block as well. I made tables for all the fuse block connectors to possibly help others, which I'll share when I finish most of the guide. My recommendation here is to at least have 6" of wire coming off your new fuse block, I had 4" of wire and there is no slack whatsoever, I know it's got to be stretching the wires in my harness.

Also another pointer for those doing the fuse block swap, some fuses (such as the glow plug and ECM/IGN) require their own 12v lead, and the new fuse box has 1 power lead to power Pin 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, etc across every row. I had some spare 12v lines after rewiring the new box, so I used an in-line fuse to 12v for my glow plugs and another for the ECM/IGN. Another tip: if you start your truck and it stays running with the key off, pull the ECM/IGN fuse and rewire that to a different 12v line.

What I would advise to someone doing this swap, when you install the dash remove your entire steering column. I was working on this thing in 30* weather and didn't feel like pulling the column so I removed the steering wheel and column shifter and was able to install the dash. The three top bolts DO NOT support your dash and it is very important that you install the dash support bracket on the passenger side (to risk cracking the top of your dash). Yes you can get away with it, but keep in mind the dash does sag a bit. Also another tip on the cluster, make sure both PIN 4 and 31 or 34 (can't remember if it's 31 or 34) have a ground running to them. I only had a ground to PIN 31/34 and half of the cluster worked, I used a quick connecter on another ground wire and plugged that into 4 and now more of my cluster works (including Tach when the headlights are turned on).

Randy455

Reaction score
Dont know if anyone has a thread of this done on GMFS, but now for sure we do! I know this question is asked once a week over at fsc.com so i made a thread over there too!
I decided it was time to upgrade from my 93 interior. It was starting to look plain, and well, just old. I wanted that new feeling to the truck. :hmm:
I took the old dash out to paint it, but wasnt too happy with the whole boxy look. Not much you can do to it, and when it is done up nice, they are normally just looked over.
Bought myself a 97-98 dash off of ebay, brand new.
then i got the misc stuff...
only problem so far is the glove box, no room for the inner part so i can only use the door.

you have to wire in the new cluster.
the older style door panels pushed the dash up. if you swap dashes, you need to do the doors as well.

all together i spent around 700 for all wiring, panels, parts, door ****. etc... 500 for paint and its good to go.

gauge swap cluster information
A Alternater - 19
W Gas 16
R Temp 13
P Oil 15
T Tach 6
S Speed 14
N,G,Q Ground 31,34,4
F,O,U Fuse 22,7
B Anti Lock 27
C Check Engine 23
E Park Brake 28
J Low Coolant ??
L Left Turn 3
M High Beam 5
V Illumination 29
X Seatbelt 30
Z Right Turn 32

light switch
88-94 95-98

Red \\ Red
White \\ White
Green \\ Green
Brown \\ Brown
Orange \\ Orange
Black \\ Black
Yellow \\ Yellow

Randy455

Reaction score
Each to there own...I guess!ha
I love '92 dash,even bought another after selling
1 Ton dually.I refused to even look at anything with newer dash in it! YUCK!
My problem is that truck has no tach.
It's a '92,1/2 ton,305TBI/700r4.
I have a diesel dash,wonder if can put right in.
Or would have to wire tach from coil???
Any one know?
Thanks,in advance.
-Randy455

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Each to there own...I guess!ha
I love '92 dash,even bought another after selling
1 Ton dually.I refused to even look at anything with newer dash in it! YUCK!
My problem is that truck has no tach.
It's a '92,1/2 ton,305TBI/700r4.
I have a diesel dash,wonder if can put right in.
Or would have to wire tach from coil???
Any one know?
Thanks,in advance.
-Randy455
I found a instrument cluster from a salvaged truck that matched the connector harness in the rear of the instrument cluster. here was 3 different types 88-90 was the type 1 and 90 - 92 was type 2 and 93 - 94 was type three.
some told me that it wont work s a pug-in-play. I beg to differ. I plugged the corresponding instrument cluster in and there was a tach. the computer uses the tach output from my coil to know when to shift (also to light up the shift light). GM is not going to have different harnesses for different options. all I did was move the shift light bulb to the receiving instrument cluster. the mileage was only 9,00 off.

adamaat

Reaction score
Have anybody done the ac controls in the swap. That's the only thing I'm stuck on.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

captain8507

Reaction score
Do you still need the AC controls answered?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Stevenb20

Reaction score
Trying to see if someone could possibly help me? I've read through this thread as well as many other entire threads and am still confused as to the wiring on the doors. I picked up a single cab 91 from a guy in Dallas. He had put on the newer style doors, I'm thinking off of a tahoe because of all the extra wiring in the doors. My colors aren't adding up to all these diagrams. Can someone help me with a legit diagram of which wire goes where? Here’s what I’ve got as far as wires and plugs go. Also the new doors have power mirrors, not as concerned with getting them hooked up as I am the power windows and locks.

Drivers Side cab wiring
3pin plug
A - Pink
B - Black w/white stripe
C - Tan

6pin Plug
A - Orange w/black stripe
B - Black w/red stripe
C - Tan
D - Gray
E - Light Blue
F - No wire

Drivers Newer Door Plugs
6pin (Black)
A - Orange
B - White
C - Tan
D - Gray
E - Light Blue
F - Black

8pin (Black)
A - Yellow
B - Light Blue
C - Tan
D - Dark Green
E - Purple
F - Light Geen
G - Purple
H - Dark Blue

6pin (Gray)
A - Gray
B - Tan
C - Orange
D - Yellow
E - Brown
F - No Wire

8pin (Blue)
A - Orange
B - Red
C - Gray
D - Purple w/white stripe
E - Black
F - Brown
G - No Wire
H - No Wire

Passanger Side cab wiring
3pin plug
A - Pink
B - Black w/white stripe
C - Tan

6pin Plug
A - Orange w/black stripe
B - Black w/red stripe
C - Tan
D - Gray
E - Light Blue
F - No wire

Passenger Side Newer Door Plug
8pin (Black)
A - Tan
B - Gray
C - White
D - Light Blue
E - Dark Blue
F - Orange
G - Light Blue
H - Tan

8pin (Blue)
A - Brown
B - Black
C - White
D - Orange
E - Dark Green
F - Light Green
G - No Wire
H - No Wire

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Replying here to follow the thread. I have contemplated this job, but the truck was my daily driver, so I decided to hold off. Now that my 94 is wrecked and will need front end repair, I might as well upgrade the interior as well. My existing carpet and headliner are disgusting, and I hate the ugly 94 tan. I now have a different daily driver for the moment, so tackling this monstrosity could be done.

I am thinking since mine is a 94 TBI, that sourcing a 95 TBI dash setup would be ideal. Any other opinions on this?

Major-Tom

Reaction score
I Have 93 Suburban. My buddy is going to give me his dash and trim from his 97 suburban.All I need is the for the wiring for the HVAC controls.