Dash replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillB

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I have used it this weekend trying to replace my dash and replace the air defuser box under the dash. After getting everything done I wanted to test it out and now I have no blower motor or movement of the doors in the box I replaced. I have the plug behind the glove box and I don't remember if I undid it or not. If I did I don't see where it came from. I dont know why this stuff stopped working when I worked before. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 20211016_153418.jpg
    20211016_153418.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211016_153417.jpg
    20211016_153417.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 9

Mdare35

Reaction score
An old thread but what can you tell me about the round, approx. 1/2" diameter bar that runs from one kick plate to the other behind the dash and in front of the HVAC box. I'm asking because I'd like to replace my evaporator in a 97 c1500 ext. cab 3 door and that is in the way of cutting open the side of the box to be able to pull it out without removing dash.

Here it is in front of ac box. I think you showed unbolting the right end using a 13mm socket
You must be registered for see images attach

Drivers end had a similar attachment on the end you said. and I wonder if the circled and question marked bracket is attached

and there's this clamp looking thing that almost appears welded to it and looks to bolt into something behind it

So do you think there is a way to unbolt it and rotate or move it out of the way enough to get the evaporator out and most important get the new one in. The old one I could always cut apart as needed! Folks that have done this to older non 3 door truck only had to cut out the dash under the box hole and there was nothing structural looking that they cut.

Thanks for any ideas you might have!

Mdare35

Reaction score
Humm looking around a bit this video seem to show that bar as not one piece and the clamp under the steering column actually a different piece (like maybe it's 2 or 3different pieces) that might allow the bar on the passenger side to be pulled out of the way. Although if I can do that with out remodeling dash remains to be seen. I'll have to as the guy that did this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mdare35

Reaction score
Yeah this video shows the part under the steering column taken out
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mdare35

Reaction score

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That tube should've came out with the dash.
Yeah, pretty sure it is riveted to the dash plastic. The dash can be removed without popping the rivets off and leaving the bar in place attached to the dash.

On the evaporator core, one of the top screws goes through a small bracket inside the box and holds the line in place. If you’re cutting the box apart to slide the core out, keep an eye out for it.

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm kinda confused on why cutting the box is being discussed?

If you've gone to the effort to remove the dash to access the box, it's like.. 6 or 7 screws, most of them easily accessed, to pull the whole HVAC box away from the firewall and then disassemble it to get the evaporator core out and also give the box a thorough cleaning. And the best part of doing it this way.. not having to mend a cut box back together.

Richard