Dash fire interior rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamStamper

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new to this forum. I’m a body technician in Minneapolis specializing in Mercedes, Audi, and BMW. I just took ownership of my grandfathers 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 slt extended cab. This truck holds a lot of sentimental value to me as it was the last truck he owned before he died. I got it from my uncle who had been using it as a farm truck, and had been put out of service from a dash fire. I am looking to get a donor truck and completely swap over the interior, A/C components, and dash harness. I’m no stranger to complex electronics and interiors, but I’ll admit I’m pretty far out of my element working on this old gmc. I was hoping you guys could guide me on what to lookout for when trying to find a donor. I’m not sure the variations in interior colors, harness compatibility’s, and issues I may run into completing the interior restoration. The truck will crank and start, but them immediately stall out. I figure this is due to the severe damage to the dash and firewall harness. Thank you
You must be registered for see images attach

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks a pretty straight forward dash and harness swap. Plenty of how too's on that around here. Same year and trim for a donor so it's a straight swap

DaCoupe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A donor vehicle is the easiest way to do it to be honest.
I went that route myself as I was able to test everything before swapping things over. When I swapped the harness over I plugged in all the components and tested them before installing dash.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Do your self a favor, once you have all of the dash and wiring out of the cab and cleaned up, paint the inside of the cab to seal the fire/smoke smell. If you do not you run the risk of smelling the fire every time that you use the heat or A/C.