Dana 44 or Dana 60?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewskie1992

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m pretty new to the forum and just trying to find the right answer on which axles I should to my solid axle swap to. First off my 98 K1500 is a woods truck only! Currently running 35s I’m pretty sure this truck has 3:73s in it but I’m not too positive (I bought it for $700) at the end of last fall I had the inner CV joint on the passengers side blow apart on me and had the rear pumpkin hung up on a nasty rock. So I’m now looking into solid axles for the front (and will most likely buy a matched pair so rear as well). I’m looking into trading my 35s to 40 that will fit my wheels and figured the hell with it I might as well swap it. Currently I have found a matching set of Dana 44s (believe they are 3:7? 3:4? couldnt find a straight answer) out of a 87 wagoneer (from what I’ve read they have the same 6 on 5.5” bolt pattern of my current wheels).I also found a matching pair of Dana 60s out of a 1977 Dodge power wagon with 4:56 gears. But the Dana 60s are 8 x 6.5 (I think 6.5) bolt pattern. I’d really rather stick with my current wheels and go to 40s rather than buying wheels and tires for the 60s. Any idea on which route I should go or suggestions would be great.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go with the Dana 60. With an 8 bolt pattern it's probably a HD 3/4 Ton axle. Way stronger bearings too. If you're gonna go with 40" tires you'll want at least 4.56 gears, maybe even 4.88s.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m pretty new to the forum and just trying to find the right answer on which axles I should to my solid axle swap to. First off my 98 K1500 is a woods truck only! Currently running 35s I’m pretty sure this truck has 3:73s in it but I’m not too positive (I bought it for $700) at the end of last fall I had the inner CV joint on the passengers side blow apart on me and had the rear pumpkin hung up on a nasty rock. So I’m now looking into solid axles for the front (and will most likely buy a matched pair so rear as well). I’m looking into trading my 35s to 40 that will fit my wheels and figured the hell with it I might as well swap it. Currently I have found a matching set of Dana 44s (believe they are 3:7? 3:4? couldnt find a straight answer) out of a 87 wagoneer (from what I’ve read they have the same 6 on 5.5” bolt pattern of my current wheels).I also found a matching pair of Dana 60s out of a 1977 Dodge power wagon with 4:56 gears. But the Dana 60s are 8 x 6.5 (I think 6.5) bolt pattern. I’d really rather stick with my current wheels and go to 40s rather than buying wheels and tires for the 60s. Any idea on which route I should go or suggestions would be great.

Both sets of those front axles will not work with you transfer case. If you want to put a solid axle in and not change your transfer case you will need to find one out of a ford. The preferred axle is out of a 78-79 F350 which would be a dana 60. You can use one out of a F250 but 79 was the last year of solid axles in those. Off road design sells a kit to install it but you will have to buy new springs and a crossover steering system.