''Daisy'' 1997 5.7L Reg cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbmimica

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to see what you recommend:

I have a Silverado 97 '1500 5.7L Vortec reg cab, it's been 18 years with me and now I want to improve the performance of the engine and transmission along with the other differential mechanics, etc. I plan to use the full potential of the 5.7 and make my truck good on power and acceleration.

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck! It's an American exported truck I suppose?

It would be helpful if you give information such as how much HP/TQ you are planning on gaining, as well as your budget. Please list it in American dollars...Are performance parts easy to get where you live? What axle ratio do you have? Also, are you doing the work yourself (such as cam swapping?) Or hiring a mechanic?

You are going to get a lot of different opinions.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It depends on what your goals are. Free flowing exhaust, with headers, high flow cars, glass pack style mufflers will all help. A tune, is a big help, but the last thing you need to do. Shave off the defuse from under the throttle body plate. A high flow air filter, electric fans, all help. Everything needs to work together.the rear end, well I went with 373s and an Eaton truetrac. I had my trans rebuilt with the HD master rebuild kit, a hardened thicker seashell, corvette serves, and I'm sure I am forgetting several other things. Then as mentioned above, you can do a cam and heads swap. You do want to stay with a roller set up. Cam and head swaps are very effective, but will take a custom tune to get the engine running write, and depending on how big of a swap over OE, you may need to do the 0411 ECM swap.

lbmimica

Reaction score
Nice truck! It's an American exported truck I suppose?

It would be helpful if you give information such as how much HP/TQ you are planning on gaining, as well as your budget. Please list it in American dollars...Are performance parts easy to get where you live? What axle ratio do you have? Also, are you doing the work yourself (such as cam swapping?) Or hiring a mechanic?

You are going to get a lot of different opinions.
Yes, it was exported from the USA, but it was exported directly by Chevrolet Chile out of the factory, I mean, it was born in Nevada if I'm not mistaken and in the same 1997 it arrived in Chile.

I have no knowledge about the Hp / torque that it currently has, since it has improvements that have been added over the years, I know that it has left the factory:

255 hp @ 4600 rpm

330 lb.-ft. @ 2800 rpm

Now it must have 265 horses more or less, I plan to get to have 450 horses and the torque on par with the number (500 lb.ft), I have a not so high budget, actually it varies but I think with 4000 Dollars are enough for the project I suppose, in my country (Chile) accessing OEM parts or American performance parts is relatively similar to how it works in the USA, only here you wait longer, but I know many people from Santiago, Chile who sell parts like this . I don't know what the axle ratio is, but it's probably the same as the factory one and yes, I'm doing the work myself.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! Check your RPO code on the glovebox for the axle ratio. Most likely 3.42 or 3.73, but may be as low as 3.08. I don't know.

I'd say that's a good budget. Is boring/machining an option there? I think those numbers are pretty high for that engine. I mean, you want to double to HP over stock! I think a 383 may not even get there? Maybe with some really wild 383 mods. Is boost an option? What are your plans as far as driving style. Are you going to be racing it? Daily driving it? Or just doing burnouts on the way to Starbucks?

Here's the other thing: Your transmission is not going to live much longer with 450HP/500TQ if it's the auto. Hopefully you have the manual...

Last edited: