Dad's '98 Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Its a bit of a story, but here goes. My dad bought a Silverado brand new in 1998 when I was 13 years old. I loved the color combo from the instant I first saw it. I learned to drive in it, spent many weeks up north camping, took ex-girlfriends to dances in high school, and made a lot more awesome memories in it. My dad passed away in 2010 and the truck was left to me. It now has roughly 155,000 miles on it. It has the 14 bolt sf and has hauled its fair share over the years. It definitely was used like a truck, but my dad loved it.

Its spent its whole life in northern Michigan, but the frame is solid. The rockers and cab corners are another story. The 3rd door is completely rotted at the bottom. Paint and body work will be hopefully this coming winter if all goes as planned. I have a used 3rd door, rear bumper, and tailgate from Alabama in the garage so no rust. Just need to locate a pair of doors now.

It was my daily driver for the past several years, but I parked it about a year when I bought my 2016. At the time a small fuel leak developed near the filler neck, but finally burst this past week when I fired it up. The end of the line rusted out so I'm going to grab a new fuel line set from linestogo.com. I have other parts I'll replace, but will post as I do the repairs.

Right after he bought it

You must be registered for see images attach

Pulling it out of its rest spot for the past 2 years.

The culprit

How she currently looks

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I found this today in the glove box

Finally got the tank pulled along with the filler neck. The straps had to be cut because they were so rusted. Pulled the sending unit assembly and it had bits or rust and dirt in it. I can't imagine what the fuel filter looks like since its the original.

Eventually when I get the fuel system fixed, I will have the rust taken care of. I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a new bed since this one doesn't have the normal rust over the wheel wells. The area behind the taillights is rotted and I found a few soft spots underneath near where the bed mounts to the frame.

Rockers are shot to hell as you can see. I have new cab corners from LMC in a box for the eventual cab repair. I have a rust free third door, rear bumper and tailgate from Alabama sitting in the barn. Now I have to find rust free front doors and a bed.

Last edited:

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Spent a little time in the barn tonight. Pulled all of the bed bolts out and surprisingly none of them snapped. Since its a northern Michigan truck, I'm almost amazed. Also pulled what seemed light a mile worth of wire out from underneath. It was running from the rear taillight all the way into the engine bay. My dad ran it years ago for something, what it was I have no idea lol.

Plan on pulling the bed tomorrow with a buddy's engine hoist. Next will be to clean the frame up and try some Chassis Saver on it. I'm waiting on my new fuel lines from Lines To Go and then I'll order a new fuel tank, sending unit, tank support, and fuel filler neck along with some of the mounting hardware.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Borrowed a buddy's engine hoist and pulled the bed tonight. Wasn't too difficult except my dad had messed around with the trailer wiring harness and attached a ground wire to the frame that I couldn't see. After that it was easy.

I vaccumed the dirt and rust off the frame after I took the photo. It didn't clean up bad. I chipped away at the rust on the frame and found the metal under it to be in good shape. Going to pick up some chassis saver later this week.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Didn't get very much done this weekend. Pulled the rear bumper off tonight. Had a couple rusted out bolts that I had to grind off. Bought Chassis Saver on Friday so most of my time consists of using a wire wheel, grinder, and wire brush. Fuel lines came last week, ordering a new tank and fuel pump as I type this.

All this rust fell out while trying to get the rear bumper off lol

Any idea what this rubber line is for? Is it some sort of bleeder for the diff?

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Started applying Chassis Saver this afternoon. I decided to go with Satin Black so it looks close to factory. I didn't really want a glossy finish. It covers pretty well. How many coats would you guys recommend?

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Worked on the truck for awhile today. I finished most of the frame up, there are still a few areas I need to touch up. I have to coat the rear axle and leaf springs still, but it looks a lot better than it did.

Had some goodies show up today

Swapped over the license plate light harness to my new bumper. It still has some Alabama dirt on it, but its a lot more solid than the original.

Got all the fuel lines layed out. Began pulling the lines out from under the truck so I'm hoping I can get that taken care of in the next few days.

New fuel tank and sending unit arrived today. I'm pretty sure the tank already has a coating to prevent rust so I don't need to do anything. Its going to be a summer truck now anyway. I still have to order the filler neck and tank support from LMC so that will be next.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Folded up the back seat and found my dad's old sun visor from the 80's. I remember seeing this thing when I was a kid lol.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/199...-A0E6-136D7F3001A4_zpsng1eweo5.jpg[/IMG][/URL

The 14 bolt in all of its beefiness.......and rustiness lol. I have to coat the axle and leafs with Chassis Saver once it warms up again. The temperature has been all over the place lately.

I was able to get the spare tire to release and I couldn't believe it. I still have to coat the cross member and then look for a replacement wheel and new tire.

Spent some time wiring up the updated connector for the fuel pump and sending unit.

Got bored so I cleaned up the fuel lines a bit. They look pretty good for being so old.

Doesn't look like very much right now

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Worked out in the barn for a couple of hours tonight. I finished up coating the rear axle and leaf springs and began pulled the rest of the fuel lines. Don't pay any attention to the drums and backing plates. I plan on eventually buying brand new parts as I didn't feel like coating them now.

Hopefully I'll be able to get them out tomorrow and began installing the new ones. I still have to order the gas tank support aand fuel filler neck and I'll be able to start reassembly.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Got the fuel lines ran tonight after a lot of swearing and beer. I'd say they're in a lot better shape than the originals. Only mistake I made was tightening them down before I got them in the position I wanted them. Had to loosen everything and re tighten it later.