Cylinder 2 Misfire - Can't track down the cause

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoeLV

Reaction score
I am hoping you guys can help me find the gremlin that is haunting my #2 cylinder.

The vehicle: 98 Tahoe, 2 Door, 4WD, 5.7, 223K miles - no knowledge of maintenance prior to 176k miles prior to purchasing the truck myself.

I will try to quickly run down everything I have done already trying to fix the issue as well as recent history of work.

Little backstory and recent work:
Originally, I was having some random misfires, especially under load, rough idle, a random O2 code here and there. I wasn't quite sure if I was looking at a fuel or ignition issue, but it was also time to do some tune-up type things regardless and I hoped the random misfires and such would be resolved when done.
About 3 weeks ago (222,500 miles) I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs (AC Delco 41-993), plug wires (AC Delco 9718Q), distributor rotor (AC Delco D465), distributor cap (AC Delco D329A) and did the CFI to MPFI (Standard Motor Products FJ504 injectors w/ gaskets and bracket) swap including a new fuel filter, air filter and oil change. When all work was done, smooth as butter. Really, the truck ran phenomenally for about 400-450 miles, by far the best since I had bought it.
Then out of nowhere, start getting a bad misfire. I pull the codes and P0302, cylinder 2 comes up. None of the cylinders throw misfire codes, no generic code for misfires. Just cylinder 2. So I started trying to determine the cause.
First, ran compression test - checked each cylinder twice. This seems to look fine.

Cylinder 1 - 165 | 165
Cylinder 2 - 169 | 170
Cylinder 3 - 167 | 170
Cylinder 4 - 170 | 168
Cylinder 5 - 170 | 167
Cylinder 6 - 160 | 165
Cylinder 7 - 164 | 172
Cylinder 8 - 173 | 170

Next, fuel pressure test. Numbers appear to be a little low, but wouldn't that affect other cylinders as well? Not just cylinder 2?

Key On - 60
Idle - 52
10 Min - 52
Driving/Missing - 55

I also swapped the plug and plug wire from cylinder 2 with a different one to see if the issue would follow the plug or the wire. Neither swap made a difference.

At this point, I noticed the plastic screw tab on the distributor was broken and the cap wasn't seating 100%. Great, I go ahead and replace the distributor as the original one was still in use. Based on recommendations, I put in the UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS 9362 distributor and UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS DCR820X cap. I verified the CMP retard is within spec at -1.4 degrees.

Still running rough and getting P0302 almost immediately if I clear the code.

Any thoughts or ideas? Things to look at next?

Thanks for any help.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
60 psi with key on, engine off is within spec. I think you can rule out fuel delivery issues (fuel pump.)

A fuel delivery problem would cause multiple misfires on both banks AND a lean code.

Since your idle pressure seems a a bit low (I don't remember the actual spec) it could be fuel pressure regulator.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Highly doubt its fuel issue .. I experienced same scenario after a bigger scenario I had the oval injector o ring broken missing sitting inside my intake major upper intake leak .. after I fixed that My Fuel pressure at idle before and after is also 52” psi on my 97 4.3v6 ..seems fine too me my LT and ST fuel trims are -10 - 10+ As Normal. Ya it should be “55 at idle . I read a few places and even heard that it’s not that far out of idle range 52 is acceptable..now 50 psi or under would be an issue. No more then 5psi bleed down per 5 minute.
For the code issue Check your upper plenum injector oring right under the snorkel area where the spider injector seals below the Upper plenum..with carb cleaner they’re known too leak ..
I can really suggest checking the rubber pcv elbow and pcv rubber extension hose that sits just above the pcv. You should not be able too bog your engine if you spray around the pcv valve / Valve cover grommet. My pcv hose elbow and hose was rotted and pulling unmetered air soon I changed that with a 2” piece of injection hose and new elbow my P0301 went away.
Someone also said online they did a crank shaft sensor “relearn”for a random misfire code and it solved it . Just some ideas

Last edited: