cutting out the cat on a 92, room to remove?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I cut mine out of my rcsb to replace it and the headpipe, it damn near fell on me. Like a square peg falling out of a round hole it did.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Back before converter theft was a big deal, a legitimate scrapper would come by my shop every now and then and offer to buy my cats. This was yeaarrrrrrs ago. He would cut them out himself. For safety reasons I wouldn't jack up the trucks or allow him to remove any other parts to gain access; he just went under with his sawzall and chopped 'em out clean, didn't matter RWD or 4x4. $50-$75 each back then which was decent money for me to not have to separate them along with everything else I was taking for scrap or cores.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I recently bought a two-into-one exhaust out of a Pull-A-Part Suburban for my son's '94 RCLB. It was all just me getting in there and seeing what I had to do and what worked. If you don't like people telling you that you need to get in there and do it, then sell your truck and buy a Corolla.

The crossmember behind the transmission was riveted in place, keeping the exhaust from coming down. My son's truck did not have that crossmember. I cut the exhaust in two with a hacksaw to get it out of the Pull-A-Part truck, then used two pieces of angle iron to get it aligned back up for welding. I lined up the tubing seam with 1/16" gap, tacked it, checked it for straightness and cut one of the tacks to re-adjust it, then welded it back together.

My son and I jacked the transmission from the driver's side and removed the crossmember. The exhaust bolted up with a sufficient application of force and cargo straps, and we had to find places to drill holes and bolt in the Suburban hangars. It worked, but we also had to replace the exhaust donuts and a couple of exhaust studs while we were in there.

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a 30" piece of 3" flared end from a local shop for $20 and welded it in today. Sounds good!

Attachments

• 20230604_165645.jpg
    20230604_165645.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230604_165637.jpg
    20230604_165637.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 6