cutting coil springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well mu truck is currantly a 4/6 drop. Instead of spending 150 for another inch or so in the front im debating on cutting the front drop coils or even the stock springs, whichever is better. Do ya have any suggestions or even how i can go about doing this correctly? I dont wanta spend alot in to the parts i cant use for the bags since im almost done saving up for the setup. So im gonna cut the 2in drop coils and put 2 in shackles in the rear for now.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my truck was static drop I went from a 4/6 to 5/8 by adding a 2in shacklles and cutting the front coils. As far as cutting coils only cut 1/4 of the coil at a time I dont remember how much i cut but it worked out fine for me

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya go a quarter of a coil at a time and use a side grinder with a good cut off wheel. Whatever you do don't use a torch, it will put too much heat into the spring and mess up the temper......

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a band saw when I cut a spring, also if you have to use a torch then submerge the coil in a bucket of water and only leave what you are cutting sticking out of the water that way the spring doesn't loose it's tensile strength as mentioned above.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I have a bandsaw, side grinder, and a sawsaw. I should be straight. Geuss I'll post pics and how much I cut off. Should I do the stock coils or the drop?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ride with cut coil's really isn't bad at all, providing that you don't cut too much or heat them and let them sag like some people do.