cut springs (those who have done it.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bu327

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if you spaced the wheel out some?
I have I think a 1-1/2” adapter with a 1/2” spacer behind it and a 1/4 or 3/8” spacer in front of it! The lug studs aren’t long enough for any more and the track width looks right.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to change the motor mounts (on the frame) to the v8 style to accept the ls mounts, and I hear it’s easier with the springs out of the way (I haven’t checked it yet, but sounds like a good time to do the springs...

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to change the motor mounts (on the frame) to the v8 style to accept the ls mounts, and I hear it’s easier with the springs out of the way (I haven’t checked it yet, but sounds like a good time to do the springs...
Yes, it is way easier to get to the motor mounts with the springs out. FWIW, I took the ACDelco 45H1057 springs, cut off 1 full coil and paired them with drop spindles. Ended up about 3.25 inches lower. Ride is very stiff.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back in the day (lol) we used to cut springs or crank down T-bars. Bell tech was just coming on the scene and Boyd’s wheels were the equivalent of American Force. There were barely any lowering kits and what there was was expensive (fir those days) I remember doing the spring cut on my Camaro and a buddy C1500. they were lowered but ride worse because it didn’t actually change the spring rate. So the cars rode worse. Jesus this story took me back in time.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Looked at a '68 RCSB years ago. SBC/M-21/3.73's. Lowered. Good looking truck. Shiny new paint. (Oooo! Ahhh!) New tires & wheels.
"How's it been lowered?"
"Ohhh...the right way."
Crawl under & see springs like these.
The 'right' way? Pfffttt. Dork with a torch.
Marshmallows would of worked better. Thing rode like a brick.

You must be registered for see images attach

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slightly on topic... what would be a good factory replacement type spring to remove a coil from that would provide for a "sporty" ride? Or at that point, would a 2" drop spring be the better pick?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when I was in Vo-Tech, one of the guys jacked up his squarebody, heated his springs, and then set it back down with them glowing red. The next day he ripped off his headers on the train tracks. Stupid high school tricks, but the dude could turn some wrenches. A couple years later it was lifted on mudders with a 454 and he got it stuck up to the mirrors. It took two tow trucks and two tractors to get it out.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One inch off the coil is two inches off the truck. I did one and a fifth coils for the perfect 2.20" drop I wanted. My coils were new 25 years later as the truck was bagged right after being bought. They're stiff. I would like a top end progressive to try or coilovers. Used an angle grinder to avoid excess heat.

Conversely I will take two map gas torches and drop a car perfect in less than an hour and yes that ride does suck.​

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my experience I just did Belltech 1 inch drop springs with 2 inch drop spindles and I installed urethane bushings in everything riding 20 inch 50 & 55 series tires. Ride is except-able but firmer due to bushings I’m thinking.?. I think I’m gonna tear it all apart and go back to rubber bushings in control arms and springs when I replace my worn out steering box.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
In my experience I just did Belltech 1 inch drop springs with 2 inch drop spindles and I installed urethane bushings in everything riding 20 inch 50 & 55 series tires. Ride is except-able but firmer due to bushings I’m thinking.?. I think I’m gonna tear it all apart and go back to rubber bushings in control arms and springs when I replace my worn out steering box.

Did you install urethane body mounts? If so, I'd replace those with rubber ones before going through all that work to remove the other suspension bushings.
The body mounts are the direct connection between yer butt & the frame. Let the suspension work with less deflection from the urethane & then soften up that stiffness with the rubber cab mounts.
Shocks make a huge diff in the ride quality too. Whatchya running for those?