cut springs (those who have done it.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have cut springs on GMT400 trucks. I have lowered a lot of GMT400 trucks most of the typical static ways.

My current truck has cut springs. Several of my trucks over the last 30 years have had cut springs.

I have run DJM, Belltech, and Western Chassis brand drop springs in both 2 and 3 inch variety over they years on various trucks.

When I need a 2 inch drop I prefer to cut the factory spring one coil. I'm not just cheap and doing it to save a buck. I just find the truck rides nicer. If I had to buy a store bought 2 inch spring it would be a Belltech. I find them to ride undiscernible from stock. DJM and Western Chassis I find to ride stiffer than stock.

I'm not bragging, I'm just old. I have been lowering these trucks since they were new (we did it in the dealership where I worked). I haven't done it all, but I have done a lot. I don't know about air suspensions and big wheels. But if you want to talk static drops, I have experience in spades. When someone is paying me to lower their truck they always seem to buy into the BS that cutting springs causes buses full of kittens to die so I just nod my head and order Belltechs and take their money. They are just happier in the end. But when it's me or one of my buddies who trust me, I whack one coil off the stock springs.
Did people cringe when you were notching and cutting to lower these when they new? Lol

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did people cringe when you were notching and cutting to lower these when they new? Lol

Most customer trucks got 2 inch front springs and 4 inch drop leafs. We did enough of them that we had the rear leafs made locally at a spring shop.

When I ordered my new 94 Silverado I had the Belltech 4/6 drop sitting in boxes on the floor by my toolbox when it arrived. Back then you had to call Summit and trust the parts guy on the phone to get you the right parts. The truck arrived at the dealership lunch time one day and I had it dropped, notched, and aligned by the end of the next day.

(Before digital cameras)

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most customer trucks got 2 inch front springs and 4 inch drop leafs. We did enough of them that we had the rear leafs made locally at a spring shop.

When I ordered my new 94 Silverado I had the Belltech 4/6 drop sitting in boxes on the floor by my toolbox when it arrived. Back then you had to call Summit and trust the parts guy on the phone to get you the right parts. The truck arrived at the dealership lunch time one day and I had it dropped, notched, and aligned by the end of the next day.

(Before digital cameras)

When men were men.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

(Before digital cameras)

Nice. Do you still have the truck? I like those wheels too. Are they 17s?

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. Do you still have the truck? I like those wheels too. Are they 17s?

That truck has been gone 25 years or so. I sold it to go through a career change.

The wheels were 17s. 17x8 with 5" b.s. and 255/55/17 tires. At that time 17 inch tire selection was pretty slim.

What?

Reaction score
Does the new career change able to buy it back? Still worth it regardless. :cool:

Oh and yes, cut springs for others. At least we have battery powered nowadays.

Bu327

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 17x9.5 front wheels for a C4 corvette and they rubbed on the upper control arm outboard of the ball joint. I ground the control arm down for clearance. It rubbed upon compression of the suspension. Now I want to cut the coils to lower it about 1.5” but I know it’s gonna rub a bunch more. I’m afraid if I get a lowered spindle the wheel will hit the lower control arm instead. I don’t know what wheel you plan on using, this is just my experience.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have 17x9.5 front wheels for a C4 corvette and they rubbed on the upper control arm outboard of the ball joint. I ground the control arm down for clearance. It rubbed upon compression of the suspension. Now I want to cut the coils to lower it about 1.5” but I know it’s gonna rub a bunch more. I’m afraid if I get a lowered spindle the wheel will hit the lower control arm instead. I don’t know what wheel you plan on using, this is just my experience.

What if you spaced the wheel out some?

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had good luck with cut factory coils. Personally I wouldn't cut more then 1 full coil which is 2" drop and also rode good

Now if you go more then that. It really starts to affect the ride quality

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Let's say you have a 10 coil spring with a 1,000# rate and you cut one coil off. You increase by something like 10% in rate. Basically, for a linear spring, the reduction in coils is directly proportional to spring rate increase.