cut springs (those who have done it.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So on the "race" truck, I'm thinking of cutting the front springs and doing rear shackles/hangers for a 2/4 drop.

The truck was a 4.3 with a 700r4, but will be a ls with a th400.

I'm looking for the opinion of those who have experience with cut springs on their gmt400... Does the ride suck (again, only answer if you have experience with cut springs (for about a 2 inch drop?)

Now for those who have experience with 2/3 inch lowering springs up front, what brand are you running, and do you think they are too soft (the biggest complaint I heard.)

If you have had both, please comment about your experiences with both...

Basically if you haven't done it please don't state your opinion (don't want to sound mean, I'm just looking for people who have actual experience in either set up listed above.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I haven't done either... :lol: Sorry.

Just wanted to point out that I believe the V6 and V8 trucks got different coil springs in the front, so someone with V8 springs who cuts X amount of coils for Y amount of drop may not be equal to the results you get cutting the same amount off your V6 springs. It's probably not a huge difference. Just something to consider while you're gathering info.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cut a coil on my Tahoe. Read that it will firm the ride up some, but don't really know if it did that or not. I had to trim the bump stops, cause it would bottom out relatively easy. I plan on going with a spindle with a stock coil, with the coil cut it makes my wheels hit the upper arms. I lowered a truck 20+years ago, and don't remember it riding any different. Used spindles...

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I haven't done either... :lol: Sorry.

Just wanted to point out that I believe the V6 and V8 trucks got different coil springs in the front, so someone with V8 springs who cuts X amount of coils for Y amount of drop may not be equal to the results you get cutting the same amount off your V6 springs. It's probably not a huge difference. Just something to consider while you're gathering info.

I figured the 6'ers are a bit softer, but I don't think the ls and th400 isn't really going to be much heavier (if any) by time I'm done. so cutting them might just equal about the same rate as the stock v8 ones... lol

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cut a coil on my Tahoe. Read that it will firm the ride up some, but don't really know if it did that or not. I had to trim the bump stops, cause it would bottom out relatively easy. I plan on going with a spindle with a stock coil, with the coil cut it makes my wheels hit the upper arms. I lowered a truck 20+years ago, and don't remember it riding any different. Used spindles...

Hopefully 2" drop with cut springs will clear 8" rallies...

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should, Im running 8.5s but they 17s. Also have some goofy spacers going cause of the rubbing. Need to get the correct thickness adaptor....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is there an unterminated end? I cut springs on my Crown Vic, will do so on the Monte when I get the springs in that I want. But I'd be cutting a half or a quarter coil at a time. Expect to do it a few times to get it just right.

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have cut springs on GMT400 trucks. I have lowered a lot of GMT400 trucks most of the typical static ways.

My current truck has cut springs. Several of my trucks over the last 30 years have had cut springs.

I have run DJM, Belltech, and Western Chassis brand drop springs in both 2 and 3 inch variety over they years on various trucks.

When I need a 2 inch drop I prefer to cut the factory spring one coil. I'm not just cheap and doing it to save a buck. I just find the truck rides nicer. If I had to buy a store bought 2 inch spring it would be a Belltech. I find them to ride undiscernible from stock. DJM and Western Chassis I find to ride stiffer than stock.

I'm not bragging, I'm just old. I have been lowering these trucks since they were new (we did it in the dealership where I worked). I haven't done it all, but I have done a lot. I don't know about air suspensions and big wheels. But if you want to talk static drops, I have experience in spades. When someone is paying me to lower their truck they always seem to buy into the BS that cutting springs causes buses full of kittens to die so I just nod my head and order Belltechs and take their money. They are just happier in the end. But when it's me or one of my buddies who trust me, I whack one coil off the stock springs.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Haven't been lowering 400's since as long as you. 'Only' about 18 or 19 years. No bags. All static.
My '98's suspension has been apart too many times, trying different set-ups.
I'll take the cut springs everytime.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I'm glad to of gained some knowledge from a few guys who have been doing it a long time. I'll wack a coil off, and if I don't like it I'll get some lowering springs....