cut coils now rubs braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i cut one full coil from the front springs, now when I brake kinda hard there is something rubbing/grinding. I checked and it's not rubbing on the upper or lower arms, or anywhere that I can see. Usually if the rims were rubbing can see the shiny aluminum. Replaced both shocks and both end links, went back together OK, but now it's raining and getting dark so can't tear into again. looking for ideas what to look for. Was fine before cut coils....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What size wheels are you running? If they're 15's, check inside the hoops for the calipers rubbing inside. When I used to run 15's I had to do a very slight amount of grinding on the caliper castings in a couple places as they would rub *sometimes* during braking. (drop spindles and springs)

Richard

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock 15s. Sticking my head n trying to see what’s going on didn’t resolve much, not enough room to see. I’ll pull the wheels tonite n see if anything obvious, but I didn’t see where the wheels rubbed anywhere.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It would be inside the hoop where the caliper could make contact; if that is indeed where it's happening you'll likely have to pull the wheel to see it.

In my case I had no choice but to pull the wheels to see it because there was zero visibility from the front, LOL - this was on my '92 when I had the 15" Centerline Stealth wheels on it.

It took *very* little grinding; I just put a burr bit on a 1/4" air die grinder and hit the bright spots on the calipers a couple times, tested, ground a tiny bit more. You don't wanna go crazy and compromise the caliper.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it matters it does it going in a straight line, didn’t notice if it did while turning. It’s actually nice out today, so will tear into after work. Cause everyone loves pics lol

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Other areas to triple-check while you have the wheels off.. control arm ends, ball joints, tie rod ends. These are spots that can rub against the wheel hoop as well.

Richard

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took a wheel off, n looks like the lower control hits the rotor. How I dunno, especially while braking only. Everything is tight, would think if it was sloppy n have a lot of movement....

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Neither. Ball joints are good, as wheel bearings. Granted it’s been a long time since I lowered a truck but don’t remember going then this.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Neither. Ball joints are good, as wheel bearings. Granted it’s been a long time since I lowered a truck but don’t remember going then this.
You 100% sure on the ball joints? Not as obvious to notice wear as a wheel bearing. I support the front of the frame on jack stands and then place a long lever sideways under the tire - a long pipe, 4x4 length of wood, something to give you plenty of leverage, and then lift up/down on it while a helper watches for slack in the ball joints. Then switch places and have them do that while you watch.

Richard