Custom made shop tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as a shop tool, however i have 2 new windshields for both barracuda project cars, a spare untinted windshield, am looking to buy a smoke tinted rear glass for my truck i will eventually install but need to store till i can get to it, also need a replacement glass for my daytona shelby, and need a spot to store a new windshield for a fellow mopar buddy whos headed to the sandbox for 3 months. I made this with 3/4" plywood, some scrap 2x4s, and thick foam padding. Works great

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m going to take it down a notch. I can’t match your fabrication skills Moparmat2000, and I damn sure can’t compete with JackE’s Grandpa, but I have one more. I needed a transmission jack. I already had a good trolley jack and just needed an adapter for it. I think the cheapest one was almost $100 even at Harbor Freight. So I measured the pan on my 4L60e and cut a piece of 5/8 plywood (yes I think it was from the same piece as the tool cart project). Then I went to Lowe’s and got a galvanized nipple that would fit the dowel pin hole under the lifting cup and got a floor flange to fit that then I cut a piece of 2x4 and screwed it all together. It works great! I did two 4L60e R+Rs with it and didn’t even need the 4 notches I cut out for the tie downs. Because it is wood
the trans stays put. It would probably slide around on the cheap steel one. Works great for just dropping the pan. I can take all the bolts out and lower the pan without spilling any fluid or bending the flange by taking the bolts out of one side. Just goes to show what you can do with a little imagination, a little labor, and a trip to Lowe’s. Again I think I have about $5.00 in this not counting the jack I already had. Maybe this will inspire someone else.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, i like it. I did an improptu setup like that a number of years ago. My wife had a 99 'burban K1500. I ******* hated that truck. Its like it saved itself until she met me, then it spilled its guts weekly with **** constantly breaking. Anyhoo, i needed to change a failed fuel pump in the damned thing. As luck would have it, trailering package with a 50 gallon gas tank that was ******* FULL. I tack welded a John Deere plow furrow disc i had behind my shop to the jack cup to lower the tank down and support the tank without the weight of the fuel crushing it. Worked great, that pump was the last thing i fixed on that P.O.S. and it went right to trade for a new grand caravan.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, i like it. I did an improptu setup like that a number of years ago. My wife had a 99 'burban K1500. I ******* hated that truck. Its like it saved itself until she met me, then it spilled its guts weekly with **** constantly breaking. Anyhoo, i needed to change a failed fuel pump in the damned thing. As luck would have it, trailering package with a 50 gallon gas tank that was ******* FULL. I tack welded a John Deere plow furrow disc i had behind my shop to the jack cup to lower the tank down and support the tank without the weight of the fuel crushing it. Worked great, that pump was the last thing i fixed on that P.O.S. and it went right to trade for a new grand caravan.
Seems like those fuel pumps always go when the tank is full lol. I usually siphon mine out into buckets, but 50 gallons? Holy crap. You did the right thing. Glad it worked.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is exactly why I cut the access panel in mine. I can have the pump changed in under 30 minutes on the side of the road, or out on the trail.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about that, however after replacing all the crap that was breaking on it weekly, and it constantly losing water but not smoking white smoke or leaving puddles on the ground, then the fuel pump going out, at that point i was done. My wife referred to the suburban as a "he". And I think on some level Mr. "Burban broke me. It was time for that one to go. I did not want to invest any more time or money into it. It was parked facing down hill against a parking curb. There was no way i was gonna push a 4 ton piece o **** with 31" tires uphill In order to hook it up to my truck and pull it home. Time to work smarter not harder, so i employed another impromptu shop tool.

Enter the empty windex bottle now refilled with gasoline. I pulled the duct off the TB, squirted a little gas in there and had wifey start it up, as she slowly backed out of the parking space i walked next to it and kept squirting gas down the throat until we got it backed up enough and on level ground so i could hook onto it with my tow strap and pull it home with her steering the Suburban. I did the same thing to get the Mr. "Burban up into the driveway to pull the pump.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That definitely works. When I worked in a shop years ago, I would use a propane enrichment kit to get the dead fuel pump cars into the shop. I haven't had any fuel problems lately, but I think if I do I'll try using a propane torch turned on blowing the gas into the intake to see if that works. We actually drove a 4.3 Astro around on a full torch sized bottle thru the enrichment kit for about 20 minutes at low rpms. I was surprised it lasted that long.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about that, however after replacing all the crap that was breaking on it weekly, and it constantly losing water but not smoking white smoke or leaving puddles on the ground, then the fuel pump going out, at that point i was done. My wife referred to the suburban as a "he". And I think on some level Mr. "Burban broke me. It was time for that one to go. I did not want to invest any more time or money into it. It was parked facing down hill against a parking curb. There was no way i was gonna push a 4 ton piece o **** with 31" tires uphill In order to hook it up to my truck and pull it home. Time to work smarter not harder, so i employed another impromptu shop tool.

Enter the empty windex bottle now refilled with gasoline. I pulled the duct off the TB, squirted a little gas in there and had wifey start it up, as she slowly backed out of the parking space i walked next to it and kept squirting gas down the throat until we got it backed up enough and on level ground so i could hook onto it with my tow strap and pull it home with her steering the Suburban. I did the same thing to get the Mr. "Burban up into the driveway to pull the pump.
LOL I guess you told her, "him or me". Glad she picked you.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not a tool per se, but you always need tunes, and cold drinks when wrenchin. This takes care of the tunes part. Redneck boom box a guy at work made. Used one of those 4 speaker car stereo kits from Walmart thats typically on sale this time of year, plug in power port. And an AC/DC inverter. All mounted in pallet wood. The power port below the radio is cool too. I need to ask him where he got it. Its not a cigarette lighter socket. Behind the astic dust cap is blue backlighting and 2 rectangular plug ports for cell phone or MP3 player charging cords. I need to get 3 of those sockets. One for my truck, and one for my 67 cuda, and sons 69 cuda. Perfect to replace a lighter socket in an ashtray.

Last edited: