Custom made shop tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as your 45° chamfer at the weld joint goes almost to the inner wall of the tube, and the tube fits nice all the way around with no gaps you will get full penetration and a solid tube. After welding, grind it flat, prime n paint. Best spot to cut it is dead center in the tube so you have enough straight tube on both sides of the cut for the jig to hold it nice and square. Scribe a lay line across the tube before cutting it so when you put it back together and weld it up your axle flange is clocked correctly when done. I think the cut off piece ended up being 2&1/8" easiest way to figure it is put your long and short axles next to each other and measure the difference in length, then remove that amount from the long side tube. I cut a 1/16" little bit less than the amount needed and then filed it down to make it straight.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Show it man, show it. Lots of great ideas out there. I want to see it.
This was an old Charbroil grill I had then the box got warped from heat and I was going to throw it away and I noticed that the cart part was in really good shape. So I took the box and gas valve panel off and took
a piece of 5/8 plywood left over from another project and just made one cut and fit it on top. Then I just drilled a hole in each corner and got 4 carriage bolts and bolted it down to tie it all together. The bottom shelf was just set on but I screwed it down with some sheet metal screws I had for extra stability. It makes a great place to store my little cutting torch set and it is easy to roll around wherever I need it. I use the top as a “clean bench” for interior, electronics, etc... Cost me probably about $5.00

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats awesome repurposing. I like it !! Perfect for a flux core wire welder to fit under there too. Its given me a good idea. If i happen to find one tossed out in the alley and build one, i would leave the cast aluminum box in place without the lid, scrub it out, and sheetmetal the bottom. Then hinge the plywood top so i can store my welding stuff in the firebox part. Maybe add wiring and an outlet plug to plug my welder and electric grinder into it.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally had s few minutes while I was in my shop today to get pics. These are tools my Grandpa made for his shop. They are all at least 50 years old. I inherited them when my dad sold his place and told me to come clean out his shop. First is an engine dolly.

Next is a press. This thing has had some serious pressure put on it!

This is one of my favorites. The inginuity of days gone by is quite amazing. When my grandpa didn’t have a tool he needed, he just made it. This is a drill press. Notice the springs to return the drill back up are valve springs from some old Diesel engine. The clamp for the hand drill is a connecting Rod. I have the big hand drill for it too. It all still works. There’s a pin on the top that goes into the handle of the drill. The clamp holds the drill surprisingly tight.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool stuff. That drill press is really the bombdiggety i love it. I'd like to keep a copy of those drill press pictures if you dont mind. And yes your right the ingenuity of days gone by. Thats an heirloom tool right there. Its a one of a kind. Would be cool to restore it to look new, but i digress it was probably always raw steel with bare welds. It was made to use. Maybe clean it up good, blue the steel to protect it, oil it up, and heck use it. I bet its got 100 years life left in it.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You’re welcome to the pics. I’ll mount up the drill and post a pic of it when I get some more shop time. I was always so impressed by the tools my grandpa could make. I have some simple steps he made to get you that little bit taller for reaching into the engine bay. When we were cleaning out the shop my dad was going to throw them away. No way!! More cool stuff grandpa made, I kept everything I could!