Curb Weight and Carrying Capacity Specifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to complete an Application for Texas Title and/or Registration form (130-U). In fields 11 and 12, it is asking for "Empty Weight" and "Carrying Capacity," respectively.

Looking at the VIN label on the driver's door jamb, it only shows GVWR (8600LB), GAWR FRT (4060LB), and GAWR RR (5530LB). It is a 1999 K20743 (K2500, 4WD, Short Bed, Crew Cab) with 5.7L and 4L80E.

I have looked in the Service Repair Manual and Owner's Manual and still cannot find mention of a curb weight or carrying capacity.

Any ideas?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I think you need to take it to scale to get that number. The door tag has the GVWR, but no curb weight. RPO glove box doesn't have it, nor does the owners manual.

I just enter the number on the title, even though I know it's not the exact number. I've never been questioned about it at the office when I've gone for this.

So you bought the truck? Congrats!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
GVWR-curb weight = capacity. But if you're gonna make it a dually, you might register at a higher weight? I'm thinking more from a ticket perspective than actual legality. Seems like a weird way to register a truck by weight.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
GVWR-curb weight = capacity. But if you're gonna make it a dually, you might register at a higher weight? I'm thinking more from a ticket perspective than actual legality. Seems like a weird way to register a truck by weight.
Not correct, Curb weight is the trucks actual weight full of fuel without a payload and no driver. GVWR is it's total legal weight( curb weight & payload)
My '88 k3500 sclb with srw weighed about 5000 Lbs. empty and had a GVWR of 8600 Lbs which gave me a load of 3600 lbs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not correct, Curb weight is the trucks actual weight full of fuel without a payload and no driver. GVWR is it's total legal weight( curb weight & payload)
My '88 k3500 sclb with srw weighed about 5000 Lbs. empty and had a GVWR of 8600 Lbs which gave me a load of 3600 lbs.

You do realize you just agreed with me, right?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
License plates in Texas are done by vehicle weight now. Too many people were registering trucks, SUVs and vans as cars to get the cheapest plates fees. Yes we did that too...it was a lot cheaper which is why people were doing it!
They still have a"truck" plate class, but it might be on commercial vehicles or trucks over a ton capacity. Haven't looked into it, because my Burb doesn't meet those criteria. You may be able to get more clarification on this from the DMV website?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to look, but I think my '99 1500 and my '00 3500 registration fees are pretty much the same. $68 or something like that? $78, I can't remember right now. I didn't know you could register it as anything other than what the title says? I dunno.

My brother did mention about my 3500 when I bought it a few years ago about paying for commercial insurance. I have general liability on both, and it's also within a few dollars of each other. I did ask my agent once about it. She said as long as I use it for personal use, no commercial insurance rates.

My 3500 truck is just for home remodeling project hauling. I don't use it for a business or anything like that.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you bought the truck? Congrats!
A different one. The other was a 7.4L in California, but based on general recommendation from the forum, I passed on that one. This one is a 5.7L. I pick it up Saturday. Seller sent me photo of the VIN sticker a few days ago. I'm preparing the paperwork as the seller is also supposed to sign the 130-U. (Pics to come when it's mine.)

Last edited:

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Have weighed my 1999 crew cab short bed 5.7 4L80 4X4 several times. It shows right around 6200 pounds.

You must be registered for see images attach

The place I usually buy landscape (cobbles) boulders from sells them by the pound, so they weigh me going in and then again after I load them, then they calculate how much to charge.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Here is a site that has some specs.

Curb Weight - Front (lbs):3379
Curb Weight - Rear (lbs): 2328

Guess mine is a bit heavier than stock, I do have a non factory rear bumper, dual batteries, a small air compressor / air tank installed with air bags and 5 slightly oversized tires(including spare), besided some other misc accessories.

And FWIW when my truck was weighed, it was with me in it.

Best of luck.