Cruise Control Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So the cruise died on my 98. I tried the Google machine and all I can find is the older vacuum stuff. I found one thread on here where @someotherguy mentioned failed solder joints, but nobody mentioned how to split the thing apart. That was the ONLY thread I found on my phone. I unscrewed the cover and gave it a good tug to no avail. I have no idea what I may destroy if I lose patience and start reefing on it so any advice you guys may have would be appreciated as far as splitting the board off of the rest of the unit.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I revectored my Google Fu and found more info.

And a video showing the innards.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I tried another method and got the housing to break free. Slow, steady pressure is the game not whacking it with a mallet in a vise.

You must be registered for see images attach

I went back and shot the brake switch after cracking the module open and found the thing was always getting a disable signal. See the wire closest to my thumb nail.

You must be registered for see images attach

Had the 8yo run the brake pedal for me. So I'm off to research and buy a good brake pedal switch. Hopefully this helps someone troubleshoot their stuff in the future. I hate it when threads get no closure, though this one won't have any until I actually fix it.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I said this in a similar thread. has anyone checked the switch on the column? I unknowingly repaired mine after it was not operable for months before I had to replace it because the wipers were starting to work intermittent. Just a thought. test the switch if you haven't already

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I said this in a similar thread. has anyone checked the switch on the column? I unknowingly repaired mine after it was not operable for months before I had to replace it because the wipers were starting to work intermittent. Just a thought. test the switch if you haven't already

The switch is more of a 88-94 thing than a 96-00 thing. The column switched in the 94-95 range.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The brake switch design changed in 1994. Both designs are cheap POS but the 1994-up switch seems to be a very common source of pain. It's easy enough to check, inexpensive to replace, and really not all that difficult other than just somewhat cramped quarters to work in. I would always, -always- start at the switch before tearing into the cruise module. The module failures are pretty rare so far. Sure to become more common as these trucks get older, but they are running a distant second place behind brake switch failure (or cruise lever wiring failure on the 1988-1994 trucks.)

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered a new AC Delco switch yesterday. I'm familiar with how cramped it is up there after swapping the pedal out for the hydroboost swap. I really can't complain about a part going 284,000 miles before failure though.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the later trucks, are you guys referring to the switch mounted on the column that the brake pedal arm contacts and operates the brake lights also?
It's actually mounted on a stud that is part of the brake pedal arm and folds over to clip onto the pushrod that operates the master cylinder.

Richard