Cruise Control issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kitsune474

Reaction score
98 Chevy K1500

About a year ago now I replaced a few things including my brake lights/turn signals/reverse lights to LED and doing a brake job all around. I've heard things about the LED's causing issues with cruise control and turning on the ABS light which I have both going on. I just want to get any info anyone might have on either subject and a possible fix because I much prefer the look and if I change them back to stock bulbs they will be the only thing that isn't LED which I would like to avoid if there's another fix. And if I may have had some massive brain fart doing my brakes and that's causing the problem.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LED lights don't necessarily cause a cruise or abs issue. Every exterior light on my dually is led, cruise and abs work fine.
My guess is the abs issue is related to your cruise issue, probably causing it. Find out what the abs issue is first, and go from there.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
LED lights don't necessarily cause a cruise or abs issue. Every exterior light on my dually is led, cruise and abs work fine.
My guess is the abs issue is related to your cruise issue, probably causing it. Find out what the abs issue is first, and go from there.
Maybe not in the 400 world, but in 800 world, things happen that would smoke your brain until you figure 'em out. When I put an LED 3rd brake light in my 06 SS, it killed the cruise. Tested, proven, fact. :( Installed a 6 ohm resistor since I had plenty sitting around from previous LED signal swaps, and cruise came back. Go figure. Since then the LED 3rd brake light got water in the lens so I chunked it and went back to OEM style.

I wouldn't expect LED's to cause an issue like OP is describing on a '98. If you retained the OEM lamp housings/circuit boards and just put in LED bulbs, then put regular bulbs back in the middle socket (brake light) and see if the issues go away. I say this not expecting it to fix the issue but just to rule it out. I've seen some strange stuff happen when you start trying some of these Chinesium wonder LED's.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a participant in the 800 world too, and I've experienced exactly what you describe. It's weird....
Have you experienced the "blower fan goes max speed full time even with the key off" fun yet :D

(auto control blower motor resistor module failure) - you have to actually pull screws to get to the thing to unplug it. You can pop the passenger side panel off and pull harness plugs until it quits, then you discover the one it's on also handles a bunch of other stuff too so you gotta plug it back in.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you experienced the "blower fan goes max speed full time even with the key off" fun yet :D

(auto control blower motor resistor module failure) - you have to actually pull screws to get to the thing to unplug it. You can pop the passenger side panel off and pull harness plugs until it quits, then you discover the one it's on also handles a bunch of other stuff too so you gotta plug it back in.

Richard
I have not. Looking forward to it now....I have experienced the wipers won't shut off at all issue though. It's fun...

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score

Richard
Twice on mine!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The LED bulb issue with the GMT 800 is most likely due to much smarter electronics, with bidirectional communication monitoring, and being "can bus" equipped. With BCM, ECM, CCM, PCM modules looking for feedback and or specific values, an aftermarket not OE style part won't play well with others.

Kitsune474

Reaction score
Maybe not in the 400 world, but in 800 world, things happen that would smoke your brain until you figure 'em out. When I put an LED 3rd brake light in my 06 SS, it killed the cruise. Tested, proven, fact. :( Installed a 6 ohm resistor since I had plenty sitting around from previous LED signal swaps, and cruise came back. Go figure. Since then the LED 3rd brake light got water in the lens so I chunked it and went back to OEM style.

I wouldn't expect LED's to cause an issue like OP is describing on a '98. If you retained the OEM lamp housings/circuit boards and just put in LED bulbs, then put regular bulbs back in the middle socket (brake light) and see if the issues go away. I say this not expecting it to fix the issue but just to rule it out. I've seen some strange stuff happen when you start trying some of these Chinesium wonder LED's.

Richard
I will definitely have to try that. (sounds like the cheapest and easiest so I just gotta start there)