Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Didn't know if anyone else has had this issue. On my 97, when on cruise control, if there is a slight hill, it will slow down at least 5-6 mph, then go back once I am over the hill. Does anyone else's have that much play in it? I know it has 240k, but when my 98 had 3:42s, it never did this, it maybe only moved 1 mph, unlike the 5-6 that my 97 does. Would this be a cruise problem, or an engine power problem? Just would like to figure this out, I hate it when I'm going down the interstate at 70-72 mph and then when the slightest hill comes, it drops down to 64-65. I remember last year when it was super windy one day and it just dropped the cruise control because it couldn't keep up.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 held within a mile or two. Yours is not working properly. The unit is easy to replace and probably found in any pic-a-part for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Ok, that was what I thinking as well. I will probably go to a j/y sometime and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the help. :)

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Finally replaced the cruise control box and it finally holds the speed and it downshifts when it needs to. So glad it works correctly now, again, thanks for the help! :)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think '97 has the same cruise box as '88 and '89. When I was dicking with my friend's '89, I pulled the cruise box apart. Freshened the grease on the gears, and checked for corrosion on the connectors--the one for the wire harness, and the one where the two halves of the box come apart. (The actual problem with his cruise was that it didn't work at all, and it was a faulty stalk for the "turn signal".)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Baighn92

Reaction score
Don't ever snap the plastic parts on the cruise cable ....GM doesn't make them anymore and they are very difficult to find (for 89-93 anyways). Everyone in the junkyard i went to had theirs removed by other people who broke theirs too probably.