Crown 2" Drop Spindles and 15" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I bought a truck that has been lowered 2/4, using Crown components. The previous owner put 20" wheels on it. I bought it with intentions of changing the tire/wheel package. Then he tells me that with the crown spindles, you have to run a minimum of 16" wheel. I've tried calling, emailing, facebook messaging Crown with no success at getting a response.

I just want to put a set of Rallys on my truck and call it a day.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never heard of the brand. Where were they purchased?

16" minimum wheel recommendation is typical for drop spindles on GMT400's, there are two areas of likely interference:

1. Most common - wheel inner hoop contact with lower control arm. Easy to trim the so-called "rain gutter" to avoid problems; it's been documented here a bunch, with pics, just may take a little searching or someone with more recent memory may post a link.

2. Far less common - brake caliper clearance, depends on wheel specs. I had a set of 15" Centerlines on a GMT400 with 2" spindles (unknown brand; forever ago) and one of the wheels rubbed slightly on the outer edge of the caliper. A little careful grinding took care of it. Didn't take much.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This is the grindage required with 15" wheels & drop spindles. Do both sides.

Turn the wheel to the stop & then measure 2"-2.5" in from the nearest point of the wheel/LCA interference. This is to allow for clearance when the suspension compresses.
Run stick-on weights when getting the wheels balanced. Just a bit of extra insurance against the weights being knocked off by the LCA.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
You should get rid of those wheels on the dually. I'd be more than happy to help. ;)

sled

Reaction score
White96Lightning cool to see a local on here, im in Anderson. The guys at Carolina truck shop push crown because its one of their main vendors. Nothing against them or crown but i had never heard of crown until they attempted to sell it to me. Since they sell to a lot of people in the area im not surprised someone bought a truck with them on it. As sewlow said, you'll need to modify the control arm to run the 15s. To my knowledge the only manufacturer that allows for a 15" rim to be run is belltech, their design was from early on prior to the popularity of large diameter wheels.

itsonlyakit

Reaction score
I have Belltech parts on my '90 Sport Truck. 2 inch drop spindles plus 1 inch drop springs in front and 4 inch shackles on rear plus Belltech sway bar at rear. I am running factory stock 15 inch chrome slot wheels. No problems with clearance anywhere.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats lowered ??? Hardly worth it, looks pretty much like stock .
Bobby V
Same reason so many of us advise against the trouble of doing a 2/4, almost always results in wanting more drop and the common 4/6 means you're fishing around in the trash pile for your stock hangers and shackles and regretting all the work it took to remove the stock hangers in the first place..

Richard

Reaction score
So I took my truck to a friends shop, bolted on a 15” wheel and put the truck on a drive on lift. The only place that we seen that could cause trouble was if you turned full lock one direction or the other. The interference is the lower control arm near the ball joint and the bead lip on the wheel. Some minor clearance work on the lower arm, I’m riding around on stock 15” wheels.

I realize a 2/4 drop isn’t a lot, but it works for me.