Crossmember replacement!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with replacing the crossmember right behind the bed of a 1994 stepside 4x4 between the frames? It's the one right over the back half of the gas tank. Amidst sandblasting and cleaning the frame for paint I found a hole in the passenger side and need to replace it asap.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with replacing the crossmember right behind the bed of a 1994 stepside 4x4 between the frames? It's the one right over the back half of the gas tank. Amidst sandblasting and cleaning the frame for paint I found a hole in the passenger side and need to replace it asap.

oh.. I thought you meant the box crosser in your message.. to change that out.. you can grind the rivets down.. and use a punch to drive them out.. but you will have to unhook the gas tank.. and support it on a jack or something .. it's not too difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like ddaxe said they're pretty easy, just air chisel our carefully grind the rivet heads off and punch them out and the cross member will be free to remove. I know you're cleaning your whole frame so I assume your gas tank has already been dropped. It's the best time to really be thorough, can't wait to see how it comes out.

ddaxe

Reaction score
you will have to bolt in the replacement... I replaced both tank member and the the rear X one...

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like ddaxe said they're pretty easy, just air chisel our carefully grind the rivet heads off and punch them out and the cross member will be free to remove. I know you're cleaning your whole frame so I assume your gas tank has already been dropped. It's the best time to really be thorough, can't wait to see how it comes out.
Where can get a replacement

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd guess either a salvage yard or you could fabricate your own if you're handy in that regard. I'm not sure if places like LMC truck would have them.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I've tried 5 different junk yards and Craigslist. Anyone know if I could just weld it back up?

ddaxe

Reaction score
certainly.. cut out the bad.. and replace with new... and it doesn't have to be pretty.. as no one will see it anyhow...

Brad Dunbar

Reaction score
I grenaded my steady bearing in my 1993 2500hd and that crossmember put a hole in the box lol but ya its fairly simple I took the bed off and took real heavy angle iron and knotched it out on either end an I do believe there 45 inches apart so weld that and boxed in the tank as well lil crude but it held for 5 years