Crew cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wrivett

Reaction score
Hey, just curious if anyone has swapped a crew cab short box onto an ext cab long box frame or if it's even possible. Thanks :)

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for the past few weeks. I saw a ccsb a few weeks ago and noticed where the frame went up under the bed the start was before the end of the cab as where my eclb the up sweep dose not start till after the cab.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the old site I would have been able to easily find the last 4 or 5 threads on this topic and provide links to the discussion.

Basically, most people recommend buying a 3/4 ton Crew Cab long bed and cutting down the frame.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Lots of talk about this recently. Realistically you're going to need a crew cab frame. Just because of the frame bend. The Ext cab frame will bend upwards after the cab, not giving you enough room to make it work. Now technically you can do whatever you want with a ton of welding and fab work, but shortening a CCLB frame or finding a CCSB frame is most realistic.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Lots of talk about this recently. Realistically you're going to need a crew cab frame. Just because of the frame bend. The Ext cab frame will bend upwards after the cab, not giving you enough room to make it work. Now technically you can do whatever you want with a ton of welding and fab work, but shortening a CCLB frame or finding a CCSB frame is most realistic.

It is a hell of a lot easier to shorten a frame than it is to lengthen it

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Absolutely. In fact taking a CCLB, many have just moved the axle forward and chopped off the excess. Get some measurements and driveshafts from a CCSB and you're in business. Obviously making sure everything is secured and safe.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but what about converting from an excab long bed to a crew cab and keeping the long bed? Would only the cab area need to be lengthened in that case, just get a new cab or stitch up a new one or however you want to go about it?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
On my truck, it was made a crew cab from a single cab. It was lengthened 16 inches right behind the front doors, in that flat area. Although they actually put a new roof skin, full crew rockers, and patched the floor, it would be much easier to just put a crew cab on it from the junk yard. If you search on here there are measurements of how much to extend an extended cab, I just can't remember them off the top of my head. If you stretch it behind the front doors, the only other things you have to get are a new driveshaft, extend the brake and fuel lines, and extend the wiring for the fuel and brake lights.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure on the late run GMT 400s, but the GM heritage literature for the early models list the crew cabs as having a higher "section modulus." If else is the same as far as depth of frames is the same, then the crew cabs are thicker frames. Also, I recall the document stating the C/K3500s was thicker than C/K2500s. I posted the number on a thread recently. Perhaps someone knows what the actual thickness is for the later models.

I've got a '00 CCLB K3500 if someone is interested I can measure the frame thickness with a dial indicator and compare to someone else's RC/EC.

My BIL and I recently looked at a K2500 CCSB for sale locally. Guy was asking $3700. It had a few issues, but not too bad. My BIL decided to pass on it, unfortunately.