Crate engine vs rebuilding opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

29tx

Reaction score
I got a 97 Sierra K1500 with about 270k miles on the original engine and would like to wake it back up. I'd like to use this truck as a sort of project/daily driver one day. I think I'd be happy with the stock power. What's the better route to go with crate vs taking to a local machine shop to rebuild? I can't find any of the GM crate L31's in stock so it would be probably a Summit or Jegs crate I'd end up with if I went that route. I think doing a crate swap would be quicker but at the same time I've always worked on older stuff so the numbers not matching thing kinda would bother me, any opinions?

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Crate motors are great for stock replacement and quick turn around.

Taking your current engine to a machine shop is good if you have specific power goals or build criteria in mind. Or just wish to support local small businesses.

Personally I take all of mine to machine shops to rebuild.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score

Taking your current engine to a machine shop is good if you have specific power goals or build criteria in mind. Or just wish to support local small businesses.
This. I had the same question in my head, but decided to go the GM crate motor route, since I'm in California. If you have a specific power goal in mind, I'd definitely say the way to go is getting your block machined. If you're going to keep it stock, get a crate motor and enjoy the warranty that comes with it, like me!

EDIT: Since you're in Texas... if you wanted to add some pep, you could always throw in a 383. I've heard it works wonders for these GMT400s. I was considering the HT383, but Commiefornia wouldn't allow such things to happen.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A crate engine in my opinion is a great way to go. I was going to do a simple rebuild, but then I started picking parts to make the engine a little better here and there and the project is getting bigger and bigger. The crate engine is a great idea because you can pull the trigger and bam its there. The original 350 is pretty weak and leaves a lot to upgrade. Curt has a good idea with a 383 crate engine. These trucks do benefit from the added torque. You may need to get it tuned after that.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
at around 2500 for a longblock, its it cheaper than an engine build. BUT you never know who built the short block or how well it is built. lots o fcorners can and do get cut on cheap engine builds. sure they have warranty, but you still out for labor, and proof you didnt cause the fauilure and sometimes, freight is involved. so, you get a dud and it takes a dump and you ask for warranty. what happens if warranty is denied? what happens if you have to pay labor and shipping? you are stuck with less than you have now! at least now you have a REBUILDABLE motor.

option: check the BEST (and usually most expensive ) automotive machine shop local to you. ask if they offer complete rebuild on your engine. their warranty will be outstanding!

option: wrecking yard engine

option: buy wrecked truck with good engine and get all those good parts for free!

option: buy longblock from autozone. roflmao.....no, dont.

now, ask yourself, does autozone get engines from same source as other aftermarket suppliers???????????????????

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I got a 97 Sierra K1500 with about 270k miles on the original engine and would like to wake it back up. I'd like to use this truck as a sort of project/daily driver one day. I think I'd be happy with the stock power. What's the better route to go with crate vs taking to a local machine shop to rebuild? I can't find any of the GM crate L31's in stock so it would be probably a Summit or Jegs crate I'd end up with if I went that route. I think doing a crate swap would be quicker but at the same time I've always worked on older stuff so the numbers not matching thing kinda would bother me, any opinions?
Why does everyone keep saying they can't find the crate engines in stock?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12681432/

29tx

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Personally I take all of mine to machine shops to rebuild.

Didn't think about the local business aspect, will keep that in mind.

This. I had the same question in my head, but decided to go the GM crate motor route, since I'm in California. If you have a specific power goal in mind, I'd definitely say the way to go is getting your block machined. If you're going to keep it stock, get a crate motor and enjoy the warranty that comes with it, like me!

EDIT: Since you're in Texas... if you wanted to add some pep, you could always throw in a 383. I've heard it works wonders for these GMT400s. I was considering the HT383, but Commiefornia wouldn't allow such things to happen.

At the moment I'm thinking going stock, reading into the cost of upgraded injectors, marine intakes, etc I don't really have the interest to do deal with that. If I were going to hot rod a truck I'd rather go with something older and carbed. Would I need to be worried about beefing up the rest of the drive train with a 383?

A crate engine in my opinion is a great way to go. I was going to do a simple rebuild, but then I started picking parts to make the engine a little better here and there and the project is getting bigger and bigger. The crate engine is a great idea because you can pull the trigger and bam its there. The original 350 is pretty weak and leaves a lot to upgrade. Curt has a good idea with a 383 crate engine. These trucks do benefit from the added torque. You may need to get it tuned after that.

I was going on the rebuild path then started seeing that the fuel system has a limit on this and the added costs to get past that made me think about the 383. I love the truck but it's had a long life and I'm trying to decide just how much I want to put into it. I know the person I got this truck from and drove it years ago with the stock 5.7 at less that 100k miles when it still had some power and it stock was more than enough for me so I'm leaning back towards a crate engine.

at around 2500 for a longblock, its it cheaper than an engine build. BUT you never know who built the short block or how well it is built. lots o fcorners can and do get cut on cheap engine builds. sure they have warranty, but you still out for labor, and proof you didnt cause the fauilure and sometimes, freight is involved. so, you get a dud and it takes a dump and you ask for warranty. what happens if warranty is denied? what happens if you have to pay labor and shipping? you are stuck with less than you have now! at least now you have a REBUILDABLE motor.

option: check the BEST (and usually most expensive ) automotive machine shop local to you. ask if they offer complete rebuild on your engine. their warranty will be outstanding!

option: wrecking yard engine

option: buy wrecked truck with good engine and get all those good parts for free!

option: buy longblock from autozone. roflmao.....no, dont.

now, ask yourself, does autozone get engines from same source as other aftermarket suppliers???????????????????

You pretty much have summed up my thought process so far haha. I've read good and bad about the crate engines and that has me worried from some of what I've read. I guess I need to just go to the local shop I've used for older projects and talk to them about cost and warranty.

Why does everyone keep saying they can't find the crate engines in stock?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12681432/

Thank you! I missed that! On the GM webpage and I think Jegs both show out of stock. I think I might have assumed that was the HD version if I did see it. After I talk to my local shop if I do go the crate route I'll go with that engine, thanks again!

Follow up question, what all should be replaced along with the rebuilt engine? I'm thinking new water pump, oil cooler, maybe radiator and hoses, plugs and wires of course, anything I'm overlooking? Flex plate and starter? Got a new battery already, anything easier to do while the engine is out for peace of mind down the road?

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Motor mounts, Distributor gear (it's cheap and I chewed one after a rebuild and not quite sure if I got all the pieces back out of the oil pan) Obviously it will have new freeze plugs. I would also replace the front seal on the transmission while the engine is out. Flexplate if you have abnormal wear on the current one.

Personally I do not like the oil cooler and have removed them on my 5.7 engines and replaced them with the stock oil filter adapter out of an 85 engine. You will then use a pf454 oil filter instead of the current size. It will still allow room for the front driveshaft under it.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is why I wish GM still had the Vortec 350 short block, $800 cheaper than the long block and pick the cam and heads you want for a performance upgrade.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the new crate motor from GM makes sense if you plan on keeping the truck. On paper they even have a warranty. Sales tax on a new truck is probably more than the crate motor will cost.