cranks but no start. no lights on dash, code reader will not connect 96 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtymike35

Reaction score
Engine cranks over but no power to fuel pump and no spark. No lights show up on dash and my code reader will not connect to the ecm. I've tried checking all the grounds but cant find any that are bad, replaced ignition cylinder with no luck and i even ordered a different ecm with no luck, checked all fuses they are all good. I'm stumped even after reading through the other crank but no start threads.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the fuses have power? Just because the fuse is "good" doesn't mean it's supplied with voltage.

Maybe a popped fusible link under the hood, powering the dash/interior.

The ignition lock cylinder has nothing to do with passing electricity. The ignition switch does.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Watch this video that I posted last year. It shows you how to test the fuel pump relay. How to jump the fuel pump relay, and where the power comes into the relay. This will help you to determine where the issue is. Before a or after the relay.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dirtymike35

Reaction score
Do the fuses have power? Just because the fuse is "good" doesn't mean it's supplied with voltage.

The ignition lock cylinder has nothing to do with passing electricity. The ignition swi

The ignition lock cylinder has nothing

Watch this video that I posted last year. It shows you how to test the fuel pump relay. How to jump the fuel pump relay, and where the power comes into the relay. This will help you to determine where the issue is. Before a or after the relay.
I have done that and the fuel pump kicks in and builds pressure. Awesome video though.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The service manual will have the diagnostic procedure for determining the cause of the DLC communication error. Those can be downloaded here:

Year 1996 is on post #84 in the link.

Attached is the wiring diagram for 1998. For that year, pin 16 (lower right) of the DLC should always be hot, powered from fuse #7. Passlock and EVO aside, it may be close to your 96 but check the manual.

You must be registered for see images attach