Crank no start 1988 Chevy C1500 5.7 350 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now you got to have the steel cap over the idle screw out of the TBI easiest way for me is with it removed from the motor use a hack saw or a Dremel or whatever you have to cut an 1/8th inch or so top and bottom of the cap and knock the cap out with a chisel now you can access the torx head screw that sets your idle and set the idle to the recommended setting from the label under the hood
There's a reason there's a cap over the idle adjustment. Turning your idle up is a crutch to hide the real problem. Once you find what's wrong and fix it, your idle will be jacked up.

Aem72717

Reaction score
I am fully aware of what a scan tool does and I was simply trying to help the guy out with the procedure to set idle you going to tell me that after a cam change or a new motor that the TBI does not need to have it's base idle adjusted ever and other than giving some advice I agreed with all that was said I even told him so at the start of my post that's fine that you know all sir glad that you do sorry that I even said a thing have a wonderful day

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you knew what a scan tool does, you'd never recommend trying to piecemeal sensor diagnostics with a multimeter.

What takes fifteen minutes with a scan tool, takes all damn day with a multimeter, and doesn't provide results as accurate.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I am fully aware of what a scan tool does and I was simply trying to help the guy out with the procedure to set idle you going to tell me that after a cam change or a new motor that the TBI does not need to have it's base idle adjusted ever and other than giving some advice I agreed with all that was said I even told him so at the start of my post that's fine that you know all sir glad that you do sorry that I even said a thing have a wonderful day
Reread your post before you fly off the handle at someone.:upyours: You stated that a "scan tool was not all that important as you can jump the ALDL to get your codes, all the other stuff can be checked with a DVOM. Way more useful in this particular situation".
Obviously you are not fully aware of what a scan tool does or you would not be saying that it was not all that important.

For the record I have installed cams in TBI engines and did not have to remove the plug to set the idle speed. I have also installed new engines in trucks at the dealership and did not have to remove the plug on the idle screw. If you think that GM runs each one of these engines to operating temp, sets the idle speed and then installs a tamper resistant plug while it is rolling down the assembly line you bumped you head.:nutkick:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reread your post before you fly off the handle at someone.:upyours: You stated that a "scan tool was not all that important as you can jump the ALDL to get your codes, all the other stuff can be checked with a DVOM. Way more useful in this particular situation".
Obviously you are not fully aware of what a scan tool does or you would not be saying that it was not all that important.

For the record I have installed cams in TBI engines and did not have to remove the plug to set the idle speed. I have also installed new engines in trucks at the dealership and did not have to remove the plug on the idle screw. If you think that GM runs each one of these engines to operating temp, sets the idle speed and then installs a tamper resistant plug while it is rolling down the assembly line you bumped you head.:nutkick:
It's always the new guys. Well, almost always. I had to look and see if it was new guy from yesterday that got mad in a different post.. nope, different new guy.

New guy, welcome, and take it easy. Lots of great people and help here if you don't just stomp in and start pissing in all the corners. :D

Richard

Aem72717

Reaction score
My bad guys I won't offend anyone again I was not trying to then I was simply trying to be of assistance not everybody has the latest and greatest stuff in their tool boxes my latest purchase of a scan tool did not have an obd 1 adapter the OTC I purchased a few years back does so I am aware of the ease that they bring to the world anyways y'all have a wonderful day sorry that intruded good luck with your future projects

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you can diagnose with a DVOM instead of a scan tool, it's like trying to rebuild your engine with it still in the truck. If you're flat broke and can't afford the tool, do what you gotta do. If you can afford a good scan tool, pay the money to play an easier game.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi everyone I got it started and driving. Me and my friend adjusted the timing IAC valve and idle screw. I will make a new thread describing my new issues with it on the road