Cracked tow hitch receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98xcab3/4sbed

Reaction score
just wanted to post this picture for others to see what to look out for. Just had my 28 ft toy hauler hooked up to this a month ago. I inspect this before every tow and was fine before I hooked it up. Stock hitch from a 98 2500
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would keep an eye on it but it doesn't look like it is moving or opening up. If it looks like it is getting worse I would take it of and have it welded. In New England an 18 year old hitch would be rusted to death by now.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Personally I would replace it.

If welded properly, it will be fine, however try explaining that to a law enforcement officer.

Not worth the possible issues in the future if you repair it.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never seen one crack like that. Seen several rust completely thru in the center of the tube.
The factory hitch must not fail too often--I have a nice factory hitch pulled from a 97 K2500 and listed it on Craigslist for $50 bucks. Zilch response. Same with an NP243.
Plan to go look at my hitch..the pics done 'scairt me!
Will K2500 hitch fit any pickups?

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've read on here that suv hitch's fit pickups with body lifts. I've thought about replacing mine due to rust. And Curt makes a hitch rated at 12k

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tongue weight caused that. The bouncing up and down while hitting bumps driving down the high way puts stress on that joint tearing it like that. To repair it, you need to cut all of the crack out and just a little bit more. I know it is a pain, but removing the hitch will make the repair much easier to do. Once the crack is cut out, ( a small thin cut off wheel is ideal for this) it is best to put a V grove bevel in then cut line so that the weld has a wide base to add hear to. then just weld up the cut V grove. Then install a plate over that area and weld it in place for extra support. Here is a video on beveling. Keep in mind that what you want is to fill the crack with weld, and when you cut out all of the crack, you will have a gap in the metal where the crack was. This grove should be 3/32 of and inch wide, or about as big as a nickle turned on its side.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Factory hitches just dont seem like they stand the test of time very well. Many moons ago the weld that holds the tube to the part that mounts to the frame broke so i ground out as much as i could of the old weld and re welded it. A couple months later the other side did the same so i just got a new one.