Cracked Starter Hole Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
So my fuel pump and (new) starter just went out at the same time, or so I thought my starter went out. Turns out the outer bolt hole is cracked which causes the starter to move and not engage the flywheel. Is there any solution to repair it other than replace the block? I don't have the money or space to do that since i live in an apartment now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drill hole out larger and install a heli-coil thread repair insert. You just gotta be REAL careful to drill dead center, straight, and mark your bit so you don't drill too deep. Measure first with a smaller bit that you can bottom out inside the hole then transfer that depth to the bit you need to use and wrap tape around it as a guide so you know when to stop. The heli-coil will need to be countersunk enough that it doesn't interfere with the starter bolt's crosshatched shoulder going into the block a little ways - roughly a 1/8~1/4" but you can measure where the threads start inside the hole to be sure. That shouldered area on the starter bolts helps keep the starter from moving around.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had them repaired, Brazing and re-machine/tap the hole was the fix. I did pull the engines and take them to a welder as I don't braze. I'm not sure how that would work out or if it could be done upside down in the vehicle.

cookseyb

Reaction score
You will probably need to remove the engine to braze it, as it needs to be semi flat to work also cleaning the area is a PITA because brass and oil don't like each other. You might lookin to screwing a stud in the hole as straight as possible and the welding it in place with Ni-rod (Nickle) for cast iron welding..

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Putting a heli-coil in a cracked hole doesn't fix the cracked hole.

I have a Buick block with a cracked outer hole. Figured I'd braze the crack first, then see if it needed a thread insert.
I'll second that. I had this same issue on a square body Chevy's 350. The "repair" had been made by the previous owner, and I was left with going through one starter after another, until I finally broke down, and pulled the engine, for a rebuild. I actually got a different block, but the point is, just a heli-coil will not fix it. The starter is able to shift slightly, and will eventually eat away at it's teeth, or the flywheel.