Cowl Hoods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 Chevrolet K1500 5.7L Auto

What cowl hoods are you guys using? Any?
I saw the thread called "parachute hoods" and want to avoid something like that, but I am interested in getting one of the cowl hoods, as my hood has a 4' long chainslap dent in it.

Do they usually use factory hinges or would I need those too?

(and yes I know they don't actually have any real function, at least for my purposes, but it looks cool and I need a hood anyways)

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Check marketplace. Never know what u find. Im not allowed on FB anymore but before the ban hammer i found a guy sellin 3 new ones in my area. Summit scratch n dent reseller is my guess.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shipping sometimes ain't bad. I got one from Jegs, and cost 100 I think to ship it to a business. I have the 4" one, and does look different than the 2", but I wanted a big hood lol, everyone has the 2". Jegs has hoods for $220 or something, but not in stock yet.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
What is the shipping charge ? Thanks

I believe it was $100. I have not ordered it. It's just the one I want. Hood, tax & shipping put it around $540 (don't really remember) to my door. I keep hoping to find a parts truck with one on it, lol! "Everyone has a cowl hood" until you're the one looking for a used one, then they're like Bigfoot.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fyi I had to shorten the factory bolts that bolts the latch on the hood , otherwise it would hit the underside of the hood on my amd 2" cowl hood when tightening and puts a nice dimple in it. Actually just one of the two bolts, the front one hits the bottom of the hood and dents it so watch it, it was the same on 2 different brand of hoods i bought with the 2" cowl . Hope this will save you some grief that I had.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shipping sometimes ain't bad. I got one from Jegs, and cost 100 I think to ship it to a business. I have the 4" one, and does look different than the 2", but I wanted a big hood lol, everyone has the 2". Jegs has hoods for $220 or something, but not in stock yet.
I think a 4" cowl can still look good depending on how the rest of the build looks, but more than that is too much. I've seen them on Camaros and Mustangs that looked rifuckindiculous.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really like the way a 2" cowl hood looks. Before I had my truck painted, I looked hard at them. Like the goodmark hood. But the added cost just to look cool, IDK, its just not worth it. Then about 2 years latter, my hood pops up at 50 MPH. creased the corners bad, but didnt smack the windshield. Again, I looked at a cowl hood, but again, it was so much less to just go get one at pull-a-part. I still had to have it painted, and that cost me around $500 I think. This was at the same place that painted my truck fact-o-back. Our bargain shop. The whole paint job was less than $1000. Anyway, point is, you can pay $400,$600, ECT for the hood, but then you will have to have it painted. So you are looking at around $1000 or more for everything. Unless you paint it your self. Also the hood is the show piece of the truck, so it has to look good for the truck to look good. IMO, mine looks good with the strips, even without the cowl hood.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: