COVID-400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was trying to think of a good title for this intro.

I'm Josh from Oregon, bought my '97 K2500 5.7L extended cab long bed back in March for almost nothing two days before we went into lockdown. It was pretty much a basket case- PO had started parting it out (I swore I wouldn't buy another truck that someone had started parting after doing it once before) and had a front clip from an earlier GMC, motor from a same-year Tahoe, and a few buckets of parts and bolts in the back seat. I figured I would tinker with it and see what came of it and that's ended up being a minor restoration with the end goal of making it a decent family camper hauler.

It's almost where I want it: I have ball joints, control arm bushings, hubs, and a few other bits and pieces before I am about done with it. You name it, I probably have messed with it on this truck. It's a good runner. The only thing I'd like to change is to go from the semi-float to a full-float and maybe go 4.11 gears instead of the 3.73s (if you're near the Salem area and have a lead on a 4.11 front diff and full float 14 bolt, let's talk).

Anyway, this forum has been a huge help as I've worked to get it back on the road. Here is a picture of it getting towed home in March and again after coming out of the shop last month.

View media item 32639
View media item 32638

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks folks. The green Chevy will be happy to get a break from active duty for a while.

Haven’t loaded up the 400 much yet but hopefully it’s as willing to work as its older stablemate.