Courtesy light wire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
Had this overly long reply, lol. I'll look a little more into it if you don't figure it out, I like a good electrical problem. I have a 95, so I don't have a module. The module.does something to provide a ground at a specific time I think, this may be why the lights come on when you close the door.

Last edited:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could you provide a pic of exactly where the courtesy lights mount? I have an old work truck that never had them and would like to add them to it. Also exactly where to look for them at the junkyard would be a real help. Once mine is back from AC overhaul the interior will be up for upgrade and I can bolt on the pile of stuff I have for it.

Garrett Liley

Reaction score
Ya Buildstuff, electrical is definitely my week point. You are on to something with the whole grounding thing from what I could find online and with the drawings I’ve looked over. Appreciate the comments and the help.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
I looked at the diagram for the blinkers, which in your project the led lights share the blinkers ground. If I assume the diagram to be right, it looks as though the blinkers switches the power and the ground is fixed. In the courtesy light system the ground is switched, meaning it isn't fixed so as not to have a ground all the time, this is what the jam switches do, switch ground. I'm nearly certain th8s is why the courtesy lights come on when you close the door. My best suggestion at this point, which is where I would start if it were my truck, is to look at the courtesy lamp circuit, look at the 4 courtesy lamps in the middle of the second diagram and imagine the running board leds there as well. This is the longer way around, but it would eliminate potential issues, so if the led lights have 2 wires, one being + and one being -, I would then connect the led + to the orange at the splice above the lights on the diagram, then take the led - and connect it to white, at the splice below the courtesy lamps. I suspect that would work as intended.

Last edited:

Garrett Liley

Reaction score
Slow times, haven’t had a chance to work on it anymore. If the rain holds off tomorrow evening I’ll try it.

Garrett Liley

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Well, no luck. Keep in mind the LED’s have four wires....one ground, one for running lights, one for turn signals, and one for courtesy (puddle) lights. Everything works but the courtesy lights just because I can’t find the right wire to hook it up to. I’ve tried the white, the orange, the gray with black stripe, solid grey, and the purple wire. Kinda at a loss now, I know I’ve seen newer trucks with this hooked up but I imagine the wiring has changed over the years. I’ll keep probing and see if I can find something. Trying to attach a pic of how it looks so far.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Looks sweet! Nice to see more ECSB 2500's on the forum.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
Nice looking truck. That one ground for those features, without some sort of module/controller for the leds, might be an issue, since the leds always have a ground. That is a pickle.