couple of questions after 10.5 rear axle conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i followed the 95 manual that says to tighten the hub nut to 68 nm, and now one wheel has more drag than the other. a 98 manual says to tighten 68 nm, back off 1/4 turn, retighten 17 nm, then align the closest slot of the nut with the spindle. so what's the right procedure?

or is it related to the brakes and not to the bearing? is there suppose to be any drag?

i transfered the backing plates from the 9.5 axle and had the 10.5 drums machined. maybe i should play with the adjuster wheel?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your wheels might have a little difference in drag. The main concern is that there should not be any wiggle in the wheel bearing if you try and wiggle it up and down.

The 98 procedure sounds more correct. My own method is to tighten it down and back it off just enough to get a cotter pin in, then check for wiggle. If it wiggles I tighten until I can get a cotter pin in. I'd rather have it tight than loose. Just a little bit of looseness can give you toe change in your alignment.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but why not just continue with the questions on the same thread? I "think" you now have like 3 or 4 threads on the same "project."

That way folks can see the whole picture and understand the entire story.

Maybe moderators can merge OP's threads into one?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The 1998 manual is correct. They revised the procedure to reduce failures.

I would add if the bearing races were removed tighten while spinning the drum until there is significant drag, loosen the nut then follow the 98 procedure. Overtightening as a first step makes sure the bearing race is seated.

Drive a few miles and jack it up to check for play. re-adjust as needed.

Don't overtighten the brake shoes! I nuked a set on Frank by adjusting until there was a tiny amount of drag.

I tighten until there is drag and back off until there isn't ANY drag.

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just did a rear 10.5 (14bff) with rear disc,tighten the hub nut to 50ft-lb then back it off,and retighten it to 35ft-lbs,then tighten just enough to get the key in.