Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i have a coolant leak I can’t find. No signs of drips anywhere under the vehicle. I have already done the intake manifold gasket. 1998 Tahoe 2dr 4x4.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump, next time you drive it. Unless it's a lot of coolant, it'll dry from the engine heat before it ever has a chance to drip. I think the small block also has a connection towards that back of the engine too that can leak... I have no idea of that the TBI or Vortec engine, Though.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you put sealant on the threads of the bolts? If it's a 5.7L almost all of the head bolts go into the water jacket and IIRR so do some of the intake. Or you have a blown head gasket...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A pressure test would probably be in order. Parts stores usually rent the kits.

How long ago was the lower intake done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They’re supposed to have a threadlocker, but I’m not sure if they all go through a water jacket or not. I just bought new bolts when I did mine, they had the threadlock already applied.

I think that the four center ones just go straight to the lifter valley.

You must be registered for see images attach

How does the front and back of the intake look, where it meets the block with the RTV?

A pressure test would probably show it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They’re supposed to have a threadlocker, but I’m not sure if they all go through a water jacket or not. I just bought new bolts when I did mine, they had the threadlock already applied.

I think that the four center ones just go straight to the lifter valley.

How does the front and back of the intake look, where it meets the block with the RTV?

A pressure test would probably show it.

No, None of the intake manifold bolts penetrate the water jacket.