Coolant hose routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got my truck as a project and in boxes. My question is coolant hose routing. I have a radiator that has no pressure cap or opening . It has two nipples on the passenger side next to the transmission tank - one towards the top of the radiator and one towards the mid point of the radiator. The nipples are two different sizes and I think one is around 1/2 " and the other is slightly smaller than that . I think its from like a 2005 ish LS truck from what I can gather from pics on the internet .

The coolant recovery tank I have is the pressurized type with a pressurized cap for an LS - NOT the original non pressurized overflow tank type that came in our trucks like my 1989. It has two nipples , one is a huge at 1" and at the bottom of the recovery tank and the other one is smaller and more towards the top of the catch tank near the cap. Then there is a small diameter hose that came attached to the tank that looks like it might be just for coolant overflow that just dumps surplus coolant to the street possibly near the cap.

I have no reference to go by.....did GM run some sort of bastarXized special hose to adapt to the different nipple sizes to the recovery tank ?

Which nipples on the recovery tank go to the upper and lower nipples on the radiator - or does it matter ? I assume on the LS engines coolant actively flows through the catch tank AND radiator while running ...true ?

Note : I am running a U shaped heater bypass hose on my water pump.

Last edited: