Containers for used oil filters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've always just drained my oil filters as best as I could and then tossed them. I've never liked this since it's a waste of steel and they still have lots of oil in them.

I've never made an effort to recycle them other than sometimes tossing them in with scrap metal......the transfer station is closed to the public now, though.

I'm going to start taking them to Walmart or one of the auto parts stores.

I'm sure I can figure something out on my own, but I thought I'd check here for some ideas, too....

....what do you use for used filter storage in the garage in prep for taking multiples to get recycled?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At UAL we have a filter crusher. Looks like a hydraulic press takes a PH35 smashes to about 3/4 inch steel pancake. Oil drains into drum hooked to transfer out to waste tank pumped out by oil company. Toss pancakes metal scrap bin. At home let drain for day or two ziplock in trash. Shop moron put big ford diesel filter in upside down, 4 inch hydraulic ram take no prisoner's, it sounded like a small bomb went off. Everbody came running foreman just tapping his foot and rubbing his forehead. Lol.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a technician, federal law was that a hot filter had to drain 5 minutes (ten minutes?) and then it could be tossed. A filter off a cold engine had to drain 24 hours. In my home shop I typically change the oil and leave the filter upside down for a couple weeks, then toss it in my scrap metal bucket. At my AF Reserve unit we have a filter crusher. It'll flatten the 10" tall oil filter from a -71 series Detroit Diesel pretty easy.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
In Texas it's been against the law to put used oil filters in the trash for at least 20 years, maybe longer. It's a $500 fine per filter if you get caught!
I'm not sure who takes them in my area; I need to find out!
I was just at the Irish parts store this morning,and didn't even think of asking if they take them....they do take used oil, 5 gallons per day.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
In Texas it's been against the law to put used oil filters in the trash for at least 20 years, maybe longer. It's a $500 fine per filter if you get caught!

Wow!

I'm not sure who takes them in my area; I need to find out!
I was just at the Irish parts store this morning,and didn't even think of asking if they take them....they do take used oil, 5 gallons per day.

Here in MI, Oreiily does take them.... first time I've seen a can for them at a parts store. I was there dumping oil....after giving them my name and address??? Seeing the oil filter barrel is actually what made me decide to do this.... well that and having a couple of filters still sitting on a drain pan underfoot.

Walmart has a special little dumpster out by the autocenter for them.... which would be even more handy since I wouldn't have to go inside.

When I was a technician, federal law was that a hot filter had to drain 5 minutes (ten minutes?) and then it could be tossed. A filter off a cold engine had to drain 24 hours. In my home shop I typically change the oil and leave the filter upside down for a couple weeks, then toss it in my scrap metal bucket. At my AF Reserve unit we have a filter crusher. It'll flatten the 10" tall oil filter from a -71 series Detroit Diesel pretty easy.

I typically leave them for quite awhile (days, weeks), but they always seem to have given a bit more oil, when I move them, and then recheck them later.

I won't be doing the crushing thing, I'll leave that to whoever gets them from me. I think the bucket is the best solution for me. I want to use something a bit smaller than a 5-gallon bucket. I don't have that many filters, and I'd like to use a little less floor space. I've already got a metal Behrens bucket that I use for scrap, so I might use that, or buy a second one. Another option would be one of the yellow cat litter buckets with a lid.... the lid would be nice to have when transporting them to get rid of, as a tip over wouldn't make a mess.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I drain them as long as reasonably possible on top of the drain pan (I've got the kind with the covered top and just a hole in the middle, with that little ledge to rest the filter on to help it drain) - then put the filter open-side-up in the box the new one came in, with some folded-up paper towels that have already been used to wipe down the filter, my hands, etc. to soak up any drips. Once I have 4 or so of those boxes, they go into the OReally's bag and tie the handles into a knot and take the bag with me along with several jugs of used oil.. haven't made a mess yet, simple and has been working for me for years.

Richard

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Wow!

Here in MI, Oreiily does take them.... first time I've seen a can for them at a parts store. I was there dumping oil....after giving them my name and address??? Seeing the oil filter barrel is actually what made me decide to do this.... well that and having a couple of filters still sitting on a drain pan underfoot.

Walmart has a special little dumpster out by the autocenter for them.... which would be even more handy since I wouldn't have to go inside.

I typically leave them for quite awhile (days, weeks), but they always seem to have given a bit more oil, when I move them, and then recheck them later.

I won't be doing the crushing thing, I'll leave that to whoever gets them from me. I think the bucket is the best solution for me. I want to use something a bit smaller than a 5-gallon bucket. I don't have that many filters, and I'd like to use a little less floor space. I've already got a metal Behrens bucket that I use for scrap, so I might use that, or buy a second one. Another option would be one of the yellow cat litter buckets with a lid.... the lid would be nice to have when transporting them to get rid of, as a tip over wouldn't make a mess.
Never realized that you're here in the mitten lmao. And yeah I just leave my filters upside down on my catch can for a week or longer then either toss em(cartridge filter) or take them to my my BIL who is a assistant-manager at a lube shop and he recycles them.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I drain them as long as reasonably possible on top of the drain pan (I've got the kind with the covered top and just a hole in the middle, with that little ledge to rest the filter on to help it drain) - then put the filter open-side-up in the box the new one came in, with some folded-up paper towels that have already been used to wipe down the filter, my hands, etc. to soak up any drips. Once I have 4 or so of those boxes, they go into the OReally's bag and tie the handles into a knot and take the bag with me along with several jugs of used oil.. haven't made a mess yet, simple and has been working for me for years.

Richard
Good to know O'Reilly takes them. I have a bunch to get rid of....
I changed oil in most of our fleet of vehicles we used to have( see my signature) and several more that aren't on that list because they aren't trucks. After I started doing our own oil changes, Texas put that law in that I mentioned in the earlier post. So Dad and I made a place in the shop to keep them, since no one at the time would take them. Not the best thing, but it was what was doable at that point.
Thanks!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little late to the party on this one but what I do is turn them upside down to drain and take a welding slag hammer and use the round pointy end and put a hole in the top of the filter. It seems like even filters that have been draining for days and you do that to them as soon as you get another hole on top they drain a little bit more out.