Considering a 93 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I considering a 93 2500 350 4x4 I found~

I also thought a 2500 would be 8 lug but this one is 6?

I've shopped pretty much years less than 94 due to all the electronics they've pilled on. ( fought 2 turbo diesels a 94 & most recently a 96~)

My question is what to look for in this model year and am I not right in bone stock form the "electronics" will be a lot simpler ?

I'm an old carburetor guy who prefers simplicity

I go to look maybe tuesday ~

Any input would be appreciated ~ Thanks
IMHO You're going to be better off with a 1995 2500 with 8 lugs, unless you do no towing, then 1500 OK. 1994 and 1995 FI system is different improved than 1992-1993. Everything that was going to be fixed for that era was fixed BY 1995. 1996 Vortec new, not a good year to own vs later.

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think primary motivators should be, does the truck have the features you want, and is it in good condition? Beyond this, everything else is kind of secondary. It's true that later TBIs or Vortecs will have bugs better ironed out, but that doesn't mean earlier ones are necessarily bad. As a carburetor guy myself, I've found my '95 to be easy enough to work on, although it's also been extremely reliable, so I haven't had to do all that much with the engine. My reason for wanting pre-'96/OBDI was that emissions tests aren't required for them here in Illinois. If it wasn't for that, I might have held out for a Vortec.

My biggest regret, EVER, is when I buy something that's in worse shape or has more rust than I'm comfortable with, or doesn't have the difficult-to-add features I really wanted. I've held my nose and done this, and have always regretted it.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the electronics on the TBIs are too difficult to understand, but they are obviously more complex than a carb for sure. If you have a basic understanding of vehicle electrical systems, you can diagnose/fix most things without too much of a hassle.

Just give it a good road test and a thorough check for rust before any decisions. Like mentioned above, it is best to get a truck that has what you want already from the factory rather than trying to add, especially when it comes to engine and trans. Not many things end up being a "direct" swap if you try to do this.

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO You're going to be better off with a 1995 2500 with 8 lugs, unless you do no towing, then 1500 OK. 1994 and 1995 FI system is different improved than 1992-1993. Everything that was going to be fixed for that era was fixed BY 1995. 1996 Vortec new, not a good year to own vs later.
I need to clarify, the fuel injection changes were ref to 7.4L TBI. I don't believe the 5.7L is significantly different from earlier. They tweaked the Intake Manifolds and TBs to improve the fuel distribution and atomization during the era. 94 and 95 454's use a linear feedback EGR valve and a cold start throttle kicker, 30 PSI fuel pressure. Finally got a perfect stock tune-up with ALL new sensors, fuel system, and new distributor and it runs perfectly.
Caveat 8-lug vs 6-lug, the brake and axle parts are more expensive and harder to change on the 8-lug; more difficult on 4WD vs 2WD as well.

Low_Bridge

Reaction score
The only thing this truck doesn't have is a 6cyl that I was considering. but then I fear it just won't have the near the nads on the farm as the 350.

Low_Bridge

Reaction score
Well we went to see the truck as we had business 20 minutes away ~

~ Earl Schieb Paint ~ it's pretty helen keller till you see it in person
~ Patch cab corners, sills & floor slapped over & on ~ rusted panels left in place
~ Hood crinlkes ~ re: hinges
~ "New AC" (that didn't work)
~ Frame rust - mild (?)
~ Rattle Can Jockey with poor masking skills

Those were the deal breakers as well he wouldn't budge off $6500 list price.

Most of did a better job at 16 yo

Otherwise mechanics solid & had transmission rebuild paperwork

Located in Lakeland, FB market Lakeland, FL

93 Longbed, White Sierra 4x4 5.7 460 tranny

~ The search continues.....

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Located in Lakeland, FB market Lakeland, FL

Just a comment. As bad as craigslist has become, it is still a better car-searching platform than FB Market in my opinion. FB is a garage sale site, with maybe one picture and one sentence descriptions if lucky, from people pawning off crap. OK for buying individual parts or tires, but I have not seen good ads for cars. Maybe your area is different.