Condenser/oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright I've pulled the old condenser/oil cooler out here it is:

1st pic is condenser/with oil cooler unit. The 2nd is of the front of radiator. Going to clean the radiator fins out prior to installing new condenser/oil cooler.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20220822_211040[1].jpg
    20220822_211040[1].jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 27

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you found mating connectors for them?

Did the transmission cooler need the same TLC?
1. No, I ended up pulling the plug on the same OEM unit (new). Plug & Play. I'll get with an AC guy and have them fill the system.

2. I've clean it before (much easier to access both sides). Once this condenser/oil cooler goes in cleaning the front side of the radiator will be difficult to say the least. I'll have to hit it with a 'Radiator Genie' from the fan side by lifting the lower shroud off the clips and sliding it up inside.

I don't know if this condenser/oil cooler has ever been out before but I did notice from inside the upper cooling fan shroud corner screws that hold it in place have been removed and only the middle one is still there. Bottom sits in clips (2). This is the shroud surrounding the mechanical fan.

I used ZEP HD Citrus cleaner for cleaning the radiator fins out (safe for metals). Spray on and use a 2-3in synthetic paint brush to work in fins. Then rinse with spray bottle of H2O (distilled). Had to use this method since the RV is in storage that has no air/water access. Worked very well. Well enough that looking from inside I can see thru the fins to outside :grd:

Here's better before/after of the front of radiator: Can see sunlight from inside the coach thru doghouse via radiator :cool:

Attachments

• 20220822_211054[1].jpg
    20220822_211054[1].jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220823_192755[1].jpg
    20220823_192755[1].jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. No, I ended up pulling the plug on the same OEM unit (new). Plug & Play. I'll get with an AC guy and have them fill the system.

I think you made the better choice.

2. I've cleaned it before :cool:

What *is* all that fuzz in the radiator fins?

I would expect insect debris in the condenser fins.

I'm not sure what to expect in the radiator fins... fine insect debris?

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. A mix of dirt, silt, dogwood and whatever else that made it's way in.

2. The condenser/oil cooler when in place had easier cleaning access. On my last trip to California I had ran a hose into the inside and flushed (what I thought) was any thing in the radiator fins.

I given thought to improvising a 'Do it myself' filter that ties behind the grill forward of the auxiliary fan. Perhaps using a 'Cut to fit' type and zip tie it to the backside of the grill vent openings. It will catch a lot of the debris but isn't so restrictive that it blocks air from coming in. Something from here:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I given thought to improvising a 'Do it myself' filter that ties behind the grill forward of the auxiliary fan.

Yes, one wonders if a simple fiberglass filter or even a simple screen (of the type used on a double-hung window) would suffice to block the bugs and bigger stuff w/o impeding the cooling.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What's that mesh stuff like 18 wheelers use, similar to window screen? Seems that'd work, since that's basically what they use it for.