Concerning cracks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to clean up around the drain and fill plugs before bolting the diff housing back into place. Upon scrubbing the grease and dirt off, discovered quite a few cracks. Its going back into place for now.

Should i be too concerned and look around for replacement or let it ride?
You must be registered for see images attach

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Are they cracks......or just casting flash. Sometimes on aluminum parts it's hard to tell.
Some definitely look, and feel like defects in the cast. Others look more like cracks. I'll get a better look when I've got fewer distractions about and likely change the oil in it as well.

Only got about 30 minutes this evening while also entertaining kids and trying to cook dinner.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More likely casting "defects" than cracks. I bet that's perfectly normal and common. A likely result of the metal cooling and contracting as it solidifies after being hot enough to be molten and poured into the mold.

I also bet they don't leak. I'd expect that sort of casting flaw on all sorts of die-cast aluminum parts--trans cases for example; or the cast-aluminum torque converter covers on the K-series trucks.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
More likely casting "defects" than cracks. I bet that's perfectly normal and common. A likely result of the metal cooling and contracting as it solidifies after being hot enough to be molten and poured into the mold.

I also bet they don't leak. I'd expect that sort of casting flaw on all sorts of die-cast aluminum parts--trans cases for example; or the cast-aluminum torque converter covers on the K-series trucks.
Once i get some real time again, I'm going to drain and fill the diff after cleaning the oil off of it better. Unless its draining itself, it'll stay in place.