Computer swap vs. scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a person replaces the stock computer with a newer/better computer, how do you program the scan tool to accept and display data from it?

Do you just program the actual vehicle by VIN Numbers; or do you have to lie to the scan tool and use the VIN Numbers from the donor vehicle the computer was originally installed in? Something else?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When a person replaces the stock computer with a newer/better computer, how do you program the scan tool to accept and display data from it?

Do you just program the actual vehicle by VIN Numbers; or do you have to lie to the scan tool and use the VIN Numbers from the donor vehicle the computer was originally installed in? Something else?
The generic scan tools link right up. The more advanced ones, with say an 0411, I connect it as a 2002 Van. My OBDLink software connects to my P59 which still has the Mexican VIN as a 2005 C3500 with an unknown engine size since it has R as the 8th digit of the VIN and that was not a US engine setuo in 2005.

I also have to guess it would also matter what data you are trying to access. I can access ABS and Airbag stuff in my 97 Express using either the 97 or 02 setup. The PCM data is the only thing that changed.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Similar to above, I have two obd ports. One pulls up ecm/tcm as 08 truck, while the original gets abs and misc

Brav302

Reaction score
My 0411 has the trucks VIN programmed into it. Using a Tech 2 scan tool I have to select a 2002 for it to recognize the computer, but the VIN shows correctly.