Computer controlled cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are no secrets anymore with fast bleed lifters -why? Rhodes patents have run out. The only mfg making fast bleeds are Howard’s and I don’t think they still make them because there is a lot of distressed inventory around. Because they don’t work well with knock sensors Because of the machine noise

Which again can be tuned out. .

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are no secrets anymore with fast bleed lifters -why? Rhodes patents have run out. The only mfg making fast bleeds are Howard’s and I don’t think they still make them because there is a lot of distressed inventory around. Because they don’t work well with knock sensors Because of the machine noise
I have had ZERO issues with them working with knock sensors. I have run a solid roller with a knock sensor as well.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Knock sensors will allow you to run an aggressive timing profile for max cyl pressure and save your motor when you hook up the trailer and head for the grapevine -specially you folks who are using hyper explosive pistons like Kieth black
The KB Signature series hypereutectic pistons only rip the top ring land off when they don't follow the top ring gapping instructions that come with the pistons!

Instructions; The first thing out of the box and the first thing in the garbage! :doh2: :biggrin::cool:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The KB Signature series hypereutectic pistons only rip the top ring land off when they don't follow the top ring gapping instructions that come with the pistons!

Instructions; The first thing out of the box and the first thing in the garbage! :doh2: :biggrin::cool:
My engine has Weisco forged in it. Top ring specs a tight 0.014", 2nd ring 0.016" based on my 4.030" bore.

REM777

Reaction score
Someone that actually gets it! Factory peanut cam in a 305 idles like the rock of gibralter with 22 in/hg vacuum and it is on a 109 LSA. That 178/194 duration lets it have very little overlap.

I went with the rhoads lifters in the 383 to tame the cam for emissions testing reason. Did not want to raise any eyes to the fact it is not a 350 with smog legal headers.

Not sure where he came up with the bit about rhoads lifters not being compatible with knock sensors either. I have run a set in the 305 I had in my 99 Tahoe, another set in a 6.0L and these in the 383. Very little valvetrain noise, in fact the roller rockers on the 383 are the loudest part of the valvetrain.

This is the 383 that is in the van running on a freshly built and recalibrated Q-Jet. First fire up with that Q-Jet. Had run it a few minutes before with a fresh Edelbrock I had just built. I had not even tweaked the idle mix screws yet. Just had them 5 turns out (late model metric fine thread idle screws). A little tweaking had it idling even smoother. 31° of timing advance at idle. Smooth for a 218/228, 0.578 lift cam on a 108 LSA and 106 ICL.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Love that China harbor dyno

REM777

Reaction score
I just spun a main bearing in my ‘97 5.7 so I’m following this thread because I have the same questions! lol
I’ve just now started my investigating/researching my options…so I don’t really have any input to provide…but I have come across material that says there is an issue with valve springs and which styles with work with the heads without being machined…so you might wanna check on the ones that come with this package as well…ofcourse I guess doesn’t matter if you’re planning on having a lot of machine work done to your heads as well…something about the beehive style…
dont need a lot of machine work - the "alex parts" custom spring kit drops right in and good to .550 lift - which is .050 more lift than you need with a vortec head because they fizzle out after .490 ..

REM777

Reaction score
I used the alex parts springs - they are cheap and wrk well - they come in two tensions ( which is based on how they are heat treated - otherwise material is the same) NO machining and good for .550 lift - the Beehive springs are better in consideration of spring surge ( E behave better in consideration of natural resonance - but honestly who cares - )- they are a quality spring ( I know this - the best quality but I wont share who in consideration of Alex's IP ) and not the chinese or mexico springs - Alex is a true innovator and been around the California market for years. As I said unless your vortec heads are ported - they run out of steam above .490 lift. So for a truck like cam these should be all you need. Studs, you dont need screw in studs with these tensions - always nice though , and I went on the cheap - beware of the shoulderless pioneer studs ( IE proform DIY drill jig kit ) - they can back out over time if they dont have a shoulder to react the stud torque against - otherwise lots of red locktite and brakeclean clean stud boss threads. The only issue with non machined vortec heads is the bottom of retainer to top of valve guide clearance - alex has reprofiled the retainer to get you your clearance - he has done all the engineering - dont second guess his engineering.