Compression test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1997 k1500 5.7 engine has a knock did a compression test at 280k today.
Cyl 1-170, cyl 3-170, cyl 5-90, cyl7-160
Cyl2-160,Cyl4-150 , Cyl6-140, cyl8-170
Any reason for low compression

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Here’s the page from the service manual which covers additional diagnostics, maybe it will help...

You must be registered for see images attach

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any drivability issues?

My 97 has 210k and runs great but I’ve never checked the compression. Idles smooth but has a loud tap tap tap on passenger side valve cover when temps are below 40f. Noise goes away after a minute or two.

You either have a scored cylinder, broken ring or most likely head issue (valve not sealing against seat, pushrod, cam lobe worn in cylinder 5.

Any smoke on startup?

I’ve used this in my 79 with god knows how many miles. It helped a little with startup smoke but I bet my valve stem seals are shot on the ol 400.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any drivability issues?

My 97 has 210k and runs great but I’ve never checked the compression. Idles smooth but has a loud tap tap tap on passenger side valve cover when temps are below 40f. Noise goes away after a minute or two.

You either have a scored cylinder, broken ring or most likely head issue (valve not sealing against seat, pushrod, cam lobe worn in cylinder 5.

Any smoke on startup?

I’ve used this in my 79 with god knows how many miles. It helped a little with startup smoke but I bet my valve stem seals are shot on the ol 400.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I got the knock on my passenger side as well I noticed it when it started getting colder but it’ll be loud on startup and stay all day just gets a little quieter. It runs fine though just a rough idle

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like ya'll may be talking g about some piston slap noises. A dead giveaway of something serious problems on the horizon

The Blue Mule

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's always a reason. Sometimes there's more than one reason. Rarely--but possible--is a compression tester that is not "repeatable". In other words, the compression tester tool is broken. I always re-test the highest and the lowest cylinders if there seems to be a problem.

Here’s the page from the service manual which covers additional diagnostics, maybe it will help...
I acknowledge that this is "GM OFFICIAL" procedure, but I still believe that a good share of it is total crap. Others will disagree.

1. The GM spec of 30% between highest and lowest compression is excessive. The only reason to allow 30% difference is to have a reason to deny warranty repairs. 20% for "daily drivers" is PLENTY, and less is clearly better. 10% is a better tolerance for modern engines.

2. Adding oil to a cylinder is supposed to temporarily "seal the rings" which improves compression pressure if the rings are leaking. How does the oil get to the "high side" of the piston on any engine where the cylinders aren't upright? This advice MIGHT have been valid in an era of upright, in-line engines. I don't believe it's valid on any slanted, Vee, or horizontally-opposed engine. The oil does take up room in the combustion chamber, so compression pressure is likely to increase based on that fact alone.

MY advice is to go directly to a cylinder-leakdown test. Add compressed air to the cylinder when the piston is at TDC, compression stroke; listen for leakage at the carb, (intake valve leaks) the tailpipe (exhaust valve leaks) the oil-fill cap (ring leakage) and the radiator (cracked casting(s) or failed head gasket)

ANY leakage at the intake or exhaust valve, or seen/heard at the radiator fill is cause for alarm. Some leakage past the rings is virtually guaranteed; the amount of leakage can be "normal" or "excessive"; and the only way to know is by using a leakdown tester that allows measuring the leakage. (As opposed to just connecting the compressed air directly to the cylinder without a "leakdown tester" in place.)

Be aware that if you use a leakdown tester, you MUST test some "known-good" engines of approximately the same bore diameter as the one giving trouble, to know how YOUR tester responds. The orifice built into the tester has as much effect on the indicated leakage as the actual cylinder leakage. There is no industry standard or legal regulation for the orifice size of automotive leakdown testers. (There is Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulation for aircraft piston engines.)

In other words, it's not possible to say that "10%" leakage is "ok", or that "20%" leakage is too much; because different testers will report different results on the same cylinder, due to their internal construction.

Stay the hell away from Harbor Freight leakdown testers. At least one of them "tests" at 15 psi (too low) and they tell you to put the piston at the bottom of the stroke (Liability bullshit, completely wrong procedure.) This tester must have been designed by dirtbag lawyers instead of engineers.

This is the tester I bought, several years ago. Suitable for aircraft (and automotive) engines with a 5" bore or less. When I got mine, the plastic case wasn't included, and I asked for a 14mm adapter instead of the 18mm adapter it normally shipped with. You could contact them and ask about buying the tester and the "automotive" 14mm adapter just as I did in 2012.

https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Tool-Supply-Differential-Pressure/dp/B005VR9H24?ref_=ast_bbp_dp
/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=at+leakdown+tester&qid=1580242136&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Last edited: