Composite headlight to single headlight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
In the RPO V22 (deluxe grille AKA composite headlights) the split is 88-93 and 94+. You can swap over between them with minimal effort, the headlights are the same but you will need the grille, the 3 pieces for the bumper filler, and parking and corner lights. The two inside bumper brackets are also slightly different on 94+, they sit out just a touch farther.

Also of note, 88-89 quad sealed beams use a different plug.

you can swap the entire lighting harness from another truck, there is a plug up by the firewall. There are two styles, round and rectangular which switched somewhere in the 97 range so verify which you have if you go this route.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never messed with the grille on anything pre-'94 so I'm not 100% sure exactly what's different, but this page from LMC Truck's catalog explains some (or maybe all) of it. I've seen other members here mention that pre '94 and '94+ have different center and side filler pieces. Part numbers 15, 18 and 21 on the diagram.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=27

Thanks ! That helps. Next trip to the yard I will know what pieces to look for. I will try that before ordering new ones. I am about due for some wrenching and have run out of excuses now that the weather has warmed up. Another month and I will have the "too hot" excuse!

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the RPO V22 (deluxe grille AKA composite headlights) the split is 88-93 and 94+. You can swap over between them with minimal effort, the headlights are the same but you will need the grille, the 3 pieces for the bumper filler, and parking and corner lights. The two inside bumper brackets are also slightly different on 94+, they sit out just a touch farther.

Also of note, 88-89 quad sealed beams use a different plug.

you can swap the entire lighting harness from another truck, there is a plug up by the firewall. There are two styles, round and rectangular which switched somewhere in the 97 range so verify which you have if you go this route.

More good info. All this goes in the "truck" folder, which holds down the dumber questions I would otherwise ask. I happen to have a later harness out of a Suburban so I will look and see if I can find a place to plug it in. I guess worst case I could get out the soldering iron. I really appreciate the info and apologies to the OP who should probably get his thread back.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I went from composite to quad sealed beam from an 88-89. I ordered new plugs and it’s a cut and splice job.

Now, running the 94-98 grille with the 88-89 lights and buckets creates interference with the grille sitting flush. I need to do some trimming on the buckets for a better fit. This information was for anyone who was considering such a modification.

As for the original going to a sealed beam light, while you’re there, go ahead and run your headlights off a relay and have the battery supply the power instead of coming from the headlight switch. The power output is amazing compared with how the factory did it.