Composite headlight to single headlight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maldred

Reaction score
My '91 Chevy has the composite headlights and I was curious if there was a conversion method to swap over to the sealed beam hardware.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, you can swap to the W/T grille and run the 5"x7" single headlight setup. You'll need the grille, the wiring, and the headlight buckets. If you find a truck with a good W/T front end in a salvage yard you can pull everything you need.

Maldred

Reaction score
Is there a disconnect in the harness for the headlights, or will I have to cut-&-crimp?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure personally, I've never looked. I would assume there's probably a junction point somewhere that you could unplug it from but you know how assuming goes.

Side note, make sure the grille you grab is from an '88-'93. Otherwise you'll need the different lower filler piece and some other odds and ends that go with the newer ones. Also make sure you grab all the parking/side marker lights, they're different on the W/T grilles.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Is there a disconnect in the harness for the headlights, or will I have to cut-&-crimp?

There is not a disconnect in the harness for the headlights but, it is very easy to rewire the harness at the bulb plugs. When you get the grill and light buckets make sure to get the 3 prong bulb plugs. The repair terminals are available at most well stocked parts stores.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure personally, I've never looked. I would assume there's probably a junction point somewhere that you could unplug it from but you know how assuming goes.

Side note, make sure the grille you grab is from an '88-'93. Otherwise you'll need the different lower filler piece and some other odds and ends that go with the newer ones. Also make sure you grab all the parking/side marker lights, they're different on the W/T grilles.

I wish you would 'splain that a little more. I am considering swapping the grill on my '93 and I happen to have a later Silverado style grill. Got all the lights etc. Its those "differences" you mention have me hesitant. Just what are those odds and ends?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wish you would 'splain that a little more. I am considering swapping the grill on my '93 and I happen to have a later Silverado style grill. Got all the lights etc. Its those "differences" you mention have me hesitant. Just what are those odds and ends?

I've never messed with the grille on anything pre-'94 so I'm not 100% sure exactly what's different, but this page from LMC Truck's catalog explains some (or maybe all) of it. I've seen other members here mention that pre '94 and '94+ have different center and side filler pieces. Part numbers 15, 18 and 21 on the diagram.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=27