Competing with a srt10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharpe.trey

Reaction score
Given the weight, power and time slips of the average quad cab srt10 what would it take for an L31 to compete with it?

Ideas?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Just and FYI for future readers,

SRT10 = 500hp, 535ft/lbs, 13.6 1/4mile, 4.9 0-60, 153mph top speed, and $45,000

I would say forced induction and weight reduction. But for $45,000 or less you could have one badass gmt400 with better stats than that.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In a straight line? Weight reduction, stroke the motor, aggressive cam, high flow heads, roller rockers, and a big ass blower or good turbo setup should get you there, but for the cost you could take a 454 block and make an N/A high revving screamer. You've likely got him in the weight department, but those trucks leave hard as hell, I've driven one.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
LS swap and a blower. 500hp is a tall order for an NAL31, much less one that would beat on an SRT with some breathing room and maintain some semblance of drivability.

sharpe.trey

Reaction score
Probably, was just wondering what it may take for an ext. cab gmt 400 model to keep up with a quad cab srt10

current setup-
L31(upgraded injectors)
LT1(fbody cam)
S10 stall
3.42 gearing+posi

thinking of building a motor-
marine l31 manifold+vmax spacer
promaxx vortec heads
lloyd elliot stage II cam
maybe 100 shot

I know vortec stroker had a combo that was running 13's, would love to see how he stacked up against one. Keep in mind that was with the csfi and homeported lower manifold and heads

Last edited:

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably, was just wondering what it may take for an ext. cab gmt 400 model to keep up with a quad cab srt10

current setup-
L31(upgraded injectors)
LT1(fbody cam)
S10 stall
3.42 gearing+posi

thinking of building a motor-
marine l31 manifold+vmax spacer
promaxx vortec heads
lloyd elliot stage II cam
maybe 100 shot

I know vortec stroker had a combo that was running 13's, would love to see how he stacked up against one. Keep in mind that was with the csfi and homeported lower manifold and heads
To make something that would reliably run and beat that, you're probably going to remove all conventional drivability. I'd caution against nitrous unless you have experience building an engine for it and using it, or are going to farm out that work. My family has been drag racing since before I was born, most of us have held the track champ title in bracket racing at the track back home at least once, myself included. If you're going to run something hard and want to keep it reliable, overbuild and undertune.