Comp Cams L31 Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbfrench

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm new to all of this. I bought my first GMT400 last year and have been working on it off and on over the course of the year. I put a Comp Cams XR258HR cam in along with new pushrods, lifters, and springs. The stock tune isn't liking the new cam.

Can anyone recommend any tuning advice or a place to go for a mail order tune? I have a friend with HP Tuners but he isn't super experienced in tuning SBCs. I just want it to be a good street truck, no need for crazy power as I am only planning on putting headers on after this.

Thanks!

https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-ene...c-roller-cam-for-oe-roller-sbc.html#tab2.tab2

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no such thing as mail order tune.
install headers and any other parts BEFORE paying $$$$$$$ for tuning.
find most reputable dyno shop and double check their experience / references

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
no such thing as mail order tune.

There absolutely is... It may not provide as good of a result as an in person dyno tune but there are options.

What year is the truck? If it's a '96+ I'd recommend Black Bear Performance. Pre-'96 you'll have to do some digging on the Gearhead EFI forums.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
his truck will not be tuned. period. he will have a base map flashed to his eeprom. that is what he will pay for, and that is what he will recieve.

It may not provide as good of a result as an in person dyno tune but there are options.
exactly. not tuned.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
his truck will not be tuned. period. he will have a base map flashed to his eeprom. that is what he will pay for, and that is what he will recieve.

Also known as a "base tune." You're arguing semantics at this point, I agreed with you right off the bat that an in person tune will yield better results. But some people may not have a dyno shop in their area, and a base tune that's altered for a different cam is going to be much better than trying to run it on the stock tune. Could be the difference between getting a vehicle mobile under it's own power to drive it to a shop with a dyno or having to trailer it there.

Whatever you want to call it, I can confirm personally that Black Bear Performance's tuning works wonders on the '96+ black box trucks. Even in relatively stock form. I'm sure they could at least get a new cam setup running well if OP has a '96+ PCM.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another way of "mail order" tuning is to data log while driving around (I used TunerPro RT), email it to someone (in this case Dave W @ Old School EFI) he can look at it and send back a "tuned" bin, I'll flash it to my EEPROM and install it then, drive around some more. We did this for, IIRC, 4 tunes and he got my fuel trims (BLM) down to ~128 +/- . Then I started playing with the performance stuff. After that I bought the EBL Flash2 and started over with a WBO2, LOL

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also known as a "base tune." You're arguing semantics at this point, I agreed with you right off the bat that an in person tune will yield better results. But some people may not have a dyno shop in their area, and a base tune that's altered for a different cam is going to be much better than trying to run it on the stock tune. Could be the difference between getting a vehicle mobile under it's own power to drive it to a shop with a dyno or having to trailer it there.

Whatever you want to call it, I can confirm personally that Black Bear Performance's tuning works wonders on the '96+ black box trucks. Even in relatively stock form. I'm sure they could at least get a new cam setup running well if OP has a '96+ PCM.

in no way am i knocking black bear. never even heard of them before. your base tune and mine are different.it is a base map, because everytime you write to eprom you are creating a new map or altering someone elses map. base is done immediately after build or mods are added. it is to prevent catastrophic damage. it is also to allow break in on a dyno or an empty stretch of highway (dont try this at home) or the track. usually mediocre timing, very slightly rich on fuel.
what i try to say to help the folks that think they can be included in the cool group at the mall, and just throw in any cam, and other mods, is that they can destroy their engine and/or cause terrible running conditions. they look for a "exhaust chop" , i say there ia unlikely any "chop" on a well tuned correctly build modern day DAILY DRIVEN, RELIABLE engine. i see it on youtube alot, even what apears to be a promod or street outlaw type that is idled way too low, way too rich, and idled wayyyyy too long with ragged acelerator blips. thats it, thats the show, and junior is watching this junk and thinking how cool he would be if he put that in his pickup truck. why is it that none of these ever show a real dyno run, or printed sheets that show run parameters, or track results? shiny objects attract more *****. a fool and his money are soon parted, yada yada
where is the data library where folks are getting these base maps? it would be fun to lookie at some. it would also be fun to look at runfiles before and after and from different shops/tuners
i just try and tell the facts and maybe some will do more learning off-net and read books, learn formulas, apply knowledge.
and at times i dont communicate well (pesky stroke) and it takes to long to make a coherent argument on a keybourd, so i short shift and hurry up to finish typing
peace

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you compare a comp XR258R to a stock cam, you'll see that it's got a little more lift and a little more duration but nothing crazy. No dragster lope for a truck that makes no power untill 4000 RPM like is being described. Better low end than stock I'd bet. Not in the range of cam that Redneck is talking about.

OP, that'll pull in just enough more air to make the computer mad. I'd go with blackbear if 96+ and that's probably all you need to have something significantly better than stock. Yeah, dyno tuning or street tuning with a wide band is better. Mail order tune with definitely get you going for cheaper and not break stuff.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey OP, was just wondering if you ever got this engine running and how you like the cam. I too have a '98 K2500 8lug which I'm putting cam in currently, marine '395 cam. I'm on the fence regarding more lift and duration than the '395 offers.

Also, I've got a '96 C1500 w/L31 which has the SP357 cam '151' w/ 24x ignition. I used BlackBear for this and they have it running pretty well.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There absolutely is... It may not provide as good of a result as an in person dyno tune but there are options.

What year is the truck? If it's a '96+ I'd recommend Black Bear Performance. Pre-'96 you'll have to do some digging on the Gearhead EFI forums.
Exactly. Not a GMT400, but my son got a tune sent to him electronically to upload to the ECU on his 2018 Civic Si, and it not only increased performance, but also gets better fuel mileage.