code 44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mclane

Reaction score
I have a 1992 k1500 with a 5.7 liter. I am new to working cars or trucks. About a year ago my truck started blowing blue smoke and I had a mechanic look at it and they said the engine was not worth fixing because it was so worn out and ended up just putting a new motor in it last fall myself because I wanted to save some money plus learn how. I successfully put it and and got it running, I just keep getting a code 44 saying that its running lean. Also the idle revs up and down on a cold start and then idles high when I put in park after driving it. Im stuck and not sure what to try next.

What I've tried so far:
new fuel pump and filter
new IAC
New throttle position sensor
New coolant temperature sensor
new IGR valve
I sprayed carb cleaner around all the vacuum lines and intake and didn't find any vacuum leaks
I did find that I installed the donut gasket on the Exhaust backwards and it was leaking a bit, I fixed that.
New plugs and wires
new distributor cap and rotor
new oxygen sensor

there is a tube that runs from the back of the intake to the top of the drivers side valve cover. The hole on the new engine is too big so it fit in there super lose. I tried putting tape around it to make it seal better. I don't know what that is called or if it has anything todo with the problem.